How old were you when you began this journey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already a topic. I'll delete it if that is so.
Anyway, I'm really curious how old many brewers on here were when they started. I'm a 22 year old, and have been making cheese for a company in my hometown for the past 4 years. Now my first batch of beer is 10 days into fermentation.
I wonder to myself, why the hell didn't I start doing this years ago? I'm absolutely addicted, all I think about all day is what's going on in my carboy, how will my beer turn out, and what I'll brew next. Hobby? No, obsession!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

32. My younger brother started brewing in college at 19 because he wasn't old enough to buy beer. He brought his knowlege back home and we started brewing together.

19 thats awesome! My brother is 25, and I've been dragging him into it the best I can. My other brother, 26, has a dozen or so batches under his belt. I smell a family brewpub in the makings :)

30, myself.

Honestly, I think it's a costly hobby. Kudos to you though... at 22, most of my money went to weed. Oh the lack of foresight.

Honestly, a lot of my money went there too, not as much anymore though haha. And for me, after the carboys and equipment is paid for, 5 gallons of beer is literally cut in half. It doesn't help I pretty much drink heady topper, anything from hill farmstead, vermonsters, and limbo ipas a majority of the time. Expensive stuff...

Well technically I brewed a couple of batches with a friend about four years ago, and started to acquire some equipment, and doing research here on HBT. But I just started brewing on my own 2 months ago. Age 56.

The first time I brewed beer was in high school. I was 18. It tasted lousy, so I quit. I then re-started when I retired at 58. My beer tastes much better now.....

NRS

19. I used to get high and play MTG and xbox but I decided pretty girls and making beer were more fun. 5 short years ago. Me and my wife both wit smoking weed and cigarettes so we could brew more

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Started at age 26, brewed for 4 years, took a dozen years off due to buying a house and getting married, then started back up last year at age 43.

19. I used to get high and play MTG and xbox but I decided pretty girls and making beer were more fun. 5 short years ago. Me and my wife both wit smoking weed and cigarettes so we could brew more

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I agree. Girls and beer blow weed and video games out of the water. I stopped smoking pot (very easily) but will still spark one here and there. The problem is cigarettes. Harder than a ****er to kick!! And it's disgusting.

I'm happy to see all these 30+ guys starting out at the age they did. I thought I arrived to this passion just a little late!

made my first batch of wine when I was 19, started doing beer in my mid thrities, am mid 50s now

Geez, I feel like Father Time! I was 62 when I brewed my first beer. That was five years ago...and recently I brewed my 36th batch!

glenn514:mug:

I was 42 when I brewed my first beer but have been making hard cider for almost 20 years. I now wish it had been the other way around, beer is way more fun to make and I drink a lot more of it! lol

Started brewing 5 years ago at the age of 45. Will brew till I retire, but then we're selling EVERYTHING and living on the open road!

It was 1986, I was 24. All we had was a 10 page paper catalog from Alternative Beverage, Charlie's book and a big thirst for home brew! I remember tasting some of the very first craft brews of the day and thinking...this tastes like homebrew :)

Sam Adams was exotic, then Sierra Nevada Pale Ale came along and was like a hop bomb!

I started at 37, all that crap I drunk until them.

I must have been in my 30s when I did my first beer, and I was in my 20s when I started making wine. I started brewing seriously when I was about 42 I think.

I was 20 when I got my first kit from my brother for my birthday. Brewed 5 or 6 batches and then stopped for reasons I can't remember. Just picked it up again last year at 39 years old. Now I have a garage and plenty of space to work with; in my twenties I was mostly in apartments. Plus now I have the money to spend on the equipment to do it right. Like you guys, my money went other places in my 20's :fro:

-Klink

The first thing I ever made was closet wine when I was 19. Started brewing at 20 and now I'm almost 23. I doubt I'll ever stop, It's just way too fun!

I brewed my first batch this past year. I'm 55, however I can read at the level of a 56 year old, so I've got that going for me...

Just thought this was an awesome post. Haha thumbs up for being hilarious!

I was just a wee lad barely big enough to hold up a beer can . hey they were not aluminum back then . After my big brother showed me the hole that was broken in the wall at the back of the grocery store , just about on brick wide , right where the beer was stored ! , I discovered the great taste of beer . Now at 5 years old I did not really have any other beers in my life to compare this one to so I thought all beers were great . I quickly became a lush and had to join the junior alcoholics anonymous group . got my first TWI when I was 6 . tricycling while intoxicated.
actually I did steal the beer through the hole when i was 5 . Did it several times before they caught on and blocked the hole . I do not have any idea what kind of beer it was

I started when I was 17. I had a job at a kitchen ware store. My manager let me buy a Mr.beer kit. I brewed the American ale they had at the time. My parents didn't mind as long as I only drank while around them so they could supervise me. Made my first batch and realized I didn't like the taste of beer yet. I would then make prison wines with Apple juice and yeast every once in a while up until I turned 21. I'm 27 now and have just started brewing with more serious equipment and enjoy the taste of beer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I started at 35 around last christmas. Just getting ready to register for my first competition, super excited.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back