How much yeast to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonToivo

Reaction score
Hi all, I am going to brew a 5 gal batch tonight.

Based on my calculations my OG should be between 1.09 - 1.1

I'll be using Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale II (1762) and am not sure if I should pitch just one pack due to the high OG. Would two packs be overkill?

2 packs would not be overkill. In the future, with high OG's like that, you should really do a starter. Easy to make, just search the forums.

This isn't my first batch, but I am still fairly new to brewing. I wanted to try out something a little different with a higher OG.

Cool. Really look into doing yeast starters at least 24 hours before you brew. Also, aeration is another good thing to do,especially with such high gravity beers. Both of these topics are covered in depth in the forums.

According to Mr Malty (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html) even if your yeast is really fresh you are looking at needing about 3 packs. If you yeast is less than a month old I think you could get by with two packs but I would do at least two and aerate really well.

A starer can be done pretty cheaply with a gallon glass jug from your LHBS and a little DME. If you can reschedule your brew day till tomorrow and do a starter tonight it would not be a bad thing.

Oh wow, I might just make a starter tonight and brew tomorrow. For reference, would there be any difference in outcome between making a starter or using the 3 packs without a starter (mrmalty says 3 packs)?

I will look into making a starter, that sounds interesting and a good way to go for future brews.

If you make the proper size starter, you can end up with the same number of cells as using 3 vials. But yeah, mrmalty says 3 with no starter. The starter will also get the yeast going ahead of time so when you pitch into your wort your yeast might get to work faster. One more thing regarding starters. If you are doing a large starter (say 2L or larger) I would suggest letting the starter fully ferment, cold crash it in the fridge overnight, and then decant off the liquid, let it come up to your wort temperature and pitch. You can leave an inch or so of liquid to help stir up the yeast. This requires you to plan a few days in advance.

Back