How much yeast should i be adding???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammis

Reaction score
So i currently ferment in primary for about 2 weeks (usually use 2 vials of liquid yeast), filter my beer between primary and secondary (1 micron filter), and then let my beer sit in secondary for another 2-3 weeks to age. When i bottle i use the palmer recommended priming sugar ratio 2/3 cup white sugar to 2 cups water (boil, and cool), once the sugar is cooled i add about 1/2 a packet of dry yeast (usually US-05), stir it all up and then dump the whole thing into my secondary (corny keg) of beer. I usually have no problems carbing this way, but i have had a few problems with taste. When i brew and carb a belgian the taste is fine, but on the last few porters/brown ales i get a yeasty taste in the beer. I usually let it carb for 1-2 weeks and then sit it in the fridge for another week or so before tasting.

Does it need more time since ive added fresh yeast?

or do i need to add less fresh yeast?

thanks

I don't know much about filtering, but...

If you remove a majority of the yeast upon transferring to the secondary, what aging is taking place? I always thought of aging as 'clean up' for the yeast.

And why do you add yeast again after filtering instead of force carbonating? It seems a bit backwards.

The purpose of using an aging tank is to promote secondary fermentation which helps the green beer mature and develop its desired flavour (usually done at colder temps). When the green beer is removed from the yeast cake and filtered not all of the yeast is removed (especially since at home its not a perfect process), as it is transfered to the second tank the yeast which does not get filtered out is re-suspended in the beer and continues to ferment any previously unfermented sugars. The yeast will also drive off any undesirable volatiles and oxygen during "aging", sort of cleaning the beer.

I initially tried force carbonating after secondary, but havent had much success since i had no way of chilling the beer enough to help with CO2 absorbtion (SWMBO didnt let me put the keg in the fridge). BUT now I have a keg fridge on the way, which should make force carbing much easier, so we will see. Either way i still want to figure out this bready taste off flavour.

...I usually let it carb for 1-2 weeks and then sit it in the fridge for another week or so before tasting.

1-2 weeks is not sufficient for full bottle conditioning. A full 3 weeks at 70 degrees is optimum, + or - depending on the style.

Chilling the beer after 2 weeks suspends yeast that is still processing fermentable sugars. So essentially, you're drinking beer with lots of live, viable yeast and unfermented sugars (trace amounts). Let the yeast digest all that sugar and "die" off. That will clean up the taste. :mug:

You might have better results if you filter after you secondary. You may not need to filter at all, and if you don't you won't need fresh yeast at bottling unless you are doing a very high gravity beer.

Back