how much wort for 10 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtroxel

Reaction score
I have an 8 gallon pot. At this point I'm just doing full boils and doing a single carboy.

If I wanted to boil 7 gallons or so and split into two carboys (adding water), should I just double up the recipe? I do both extract and partial at this point, but for the first try would prefer to go the extract route.

I have an 8 gallon pot. At this point I'm just doing full boils and doing a single carboy.

If I wanted to boil 7 gallons or so and split into two carboys (adding water), should I just double up the recipe? I do both extract and partial at this point, but for the first try would prefer to go the extract route.

First off, boiling 7 gallons in an 8 gallon pot (especially with higher than normal gravities on everything you brew) is going to require some attentive brewing on your part. No boil-over insurance space there!

Assuming that your 7 gallons will boil and chill down to 6 gallons of wort going into your fermentors, you'll need to add another 4 gallons of water to reach your intended volume of 10 gallons. You'd need to increase you ingredients by 67% (not 100%) to account for the approximate 67% loss of bitterness and gravity from the addition of 4 gallons of water.

I would double the ingredients except for the water in order to double to OG, and then add bottled (sanitized) water in the carboys to produce ten gallons at the original OG.

The only thing I would be careful of is scorching the wort depending on how thick the "mash" is. I am assuming you're not doing something like a barleywine with a 1120 OG or something so I would think that would be fine.

One tip... I would pour a gallon into one carboy and then one gallon into the other and keep alternating so you get as close to the exact same wort into both fermenters.

You can boil 7.75 gallons in an 8 gallon pot no problem. When the pot is almost boiling, you'll get a layer of foam... Scoop that off with a large spoon and keep scooping until you have a hard boil going. I'll bet you $100 you don't boil over.

You boil 7.75 gallons in an 8 gallon pot no problem. When the pot is almost bpiling, you'll get a layer of foam... Scoop that off with a large spoon and keep scooping until you have a hard boil going. I'll bet you $100 you don't boil over.

Sure, remove the hot break. But you'd better pray you're on a level surface and that your hop additions are modest or you're gonna be out $100 pretty quick ;)

Sure, remove the hot break. But you'd better pray you're on a level surface and that your hop additions are modest or you're gonna be out $100 pretty quick ;)

Only for the meek of fortitude...

All I'm saying is boilovers aren't that hard to avoid if you want to.

It's a moot point anyway as there's no reason boil that much anyway.

Double the grain bill with the same water and just add the water on the back end.

So you're looking at a 6-6.5 gallon pre-boil

Double the grain bill with the same water and just add the water on the back end.

So you're looking at a 6-6.5 gallon pre-boil

That works. I like the idea of a little more space in the kettle.

I never have to worry about boilovers in my 25 gallon kettle! :D

Try removing the hot break next time (the foam) and see how much room you would need. It aint much

I always skim the hot break on my light colored, non-cloudy beers. I leave it in my stouts, wits etc. I've seen some large surges of foam when I add big doses of hops to the boil... volumes of foam much bigger than a gallon or two. It's all dependent on wort makeup, hops and how high your flame is I guess.

Assuming that your 7 gallons will boil and chill down to 6 gallons of wort going into your fermentors, you'll need to add another 4 gallons of water to reach your intended volume of 10 gallons. You'd need to increase you ingredients by 67% (not 100%) to account for the approximate 67% loss of bitterness and gravity from the addition of 4 gallons of water.

Now wait just a minute. I completely disagree with your advice. You're saying that it's possible to brew 10 gallons vs 5 and end up with the same gravity and IBU's by increasing ingredients by 67%? I think not. No matter what you boil off or how much water you top off with, sugar concentration is a finite thing. If you have an extract @ say 45 PPG. Upping the amount by 67% will not give you double the gravity no matter how you slice it. As for hops, you would actually have to incresse by greater than 100% to account for the higher boil gravity.

To the OP. Double your fermentables and adjust your hops accordingly for the boil gravity.

Now wait just a minute. I completely disagree with your advice. You're saying that it's possible to brew 10 gallons vs 5 and end up with the same gravity and IBU's by increasing ingredients by 67%? I think not. No matter what you boil off or how much water you top off with, sugar concentration is a finite thing. If you have an extract @ say 45 PPG. Upping the amount by 67% will not give you double the gravity no matter how you slice it. As for hops, you would actually have to incresse by greater than 100% to account for the higher boil gravity.

To the OP. Double your fermentables and adjust your hops accordingly for the boil gravity.

I believe we're talking about different things. You're talking about what adjustments must be made to fermentables and hops when going from 5 gallons to 10 gallons via the addition of 5 gallons of water -- the obvious solution is to double grain and hops.

I'm about what adjustments must be made to fermentables and hops when going from 6 gallons to 10 gallons via the addition of 4 gallons of water. My calculation assumes the IBUs/OGs of the 6 and 5 gallon batches are the same.

Latest posts

Back