How much vanilla for a vanilla porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's best if you wrap them in saran wrap and then seal them in an airtight container. Then you can refrigerate them for up to 6 months or so.

I just kegged a smoked vanilla porter last night. I used 2 beans. I cut them into 5-6 pieces each, boiled them for 10 minutes to sterilize them (covered, to keep their "essence" and not let it boil out), and then dumped them into the primary. 1 week later, it was ready to keg; no more vanilla needed, as it was pretty strong.

Do yourself a favor and never boil them again. It's not necessary and you're boiling off the flavor.

1. the inside of the bean is filled with small, sticky seeds. That's where most of the flavor is. Use a knife to scrape them out and add them.

2. Just toss 'em in

3. primary might be OK, but I've always used them in secondary

I agree. I don't secondary, though. I throw them into the primary 5-7 days before kegging. Two beans do the job for 5 gallons of robust porter.

I agree. I don't secondary, though. I throw them into the primary 5-7 days before kegging. Two beans do the job for 5 gallons of robust porter.

I almost never secondary unless I'm making an addition like this (or mushrooms) or unless I dry hop.

Make sure you get the vanilla beans fresh or else they will become very brittle...

Back