How much Vanilla extract do I add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szerek

Reaction score
I just brewed an Irish Stout yesterday from a Brewer's Best kit. The only reason I went with a kit is because my LHBS didn't have the Crystal 60L and the Black Patent pre-crushed already so it cost me a few $ more.

I want to take this kit and take it from an Irish Stout to a Vanilla Irish Cream Stout.

The kit came with a half pound of Malt-dextrin which I used, and I also added a half pound of lactose for even more body.

My question is when it's time to bottle, how much vanilla extract do I use in the bottling bucket? Right now I'm slated for 1 oz, but I'm wondering if that will be enough for the hint of vanilla to come through.

Also, should I use artificial vanilla extract or the real deal?

Thanks in advance.

PS this was the first fermentation that I had to use a blow off tube for! I spent an hour cleaning up the kitchen floor and counter tops this morning. ;)

USE REAL! Artificial will taste...well, artificial.

I'd start with an ounce (maybe less) in the bottling bucket, and taste it. Then add more if you think you need it. The vanilla flavor will mellow some as the beer conditions, but basically what you taste at bottling is what you're going to get, vanilla-wise.

agreed, only use real extract, and start slow, prolly 1/2 oz

my LHBS owner said he made an undrinkable vanilla stout once. you really don't want to taste vanilla...rather, smell it. the smell lends the taste. if you can actually taste it, it'll be so ungodly vanilla flavored that you won't taste the beer...that was his downfall on his first attempt.

wish I could recall how much he used, but its been 8 years since that conversation.

Back