how much smoked malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How much smoked malt in a smoker porter recipe to be noticed, but not dominant or obvious?

Two pounds?
Three pounds?

Five pounds?
Six pounds?
Seven pounds (sounds like a Phish song..)

For the same recipe, I'm thinking of some Chinook for bittering, mostly because I know it's used in some porter recipes and I'm still pissed about forgetting it in Walker's IPA. What would be a good complementary hop for flavoring?

First, just to cover my ass, if you are for some reason considering peat smoked malt go very sparingly with it. Like 2-4oz at the most and only because it's a dark beer (I used 1/2oz in an amber ale and it was quite palpable).

However, I suspect you're talking about a Bamberg malt or homesmoked malt in which case you could use as much as you want. Rauchbier is sometimes made with 100% smoked malt. Having said that, I would guesstimate 2-4lbs, but I'm almost positive somebody around here has done a smoked porter and can weigh in with a definitive opinion.

Yeah, not peat, I'll leave that for the Scotsmen. Just regular ol' smoked malt. I was reading some old threads, but it wasn't clear whether 2 pounds was enough to be there (albeit subtly), or if I needed to go up to 5lbs (or more).

My smoked porter was actually a smoked shwarzbier. It turned out really well, but I used a kit, properly lagered it with a liquid Bavarian yeast and also used liquid smoke.

I guess I can't be much help, I just can't let you guys run away with all the post-count ribbons.

the_bird said:
Yeah, not peat, I'll leave that for the Scotsmen.

BTW bird from the BJCP guidelines for scottish ales:

Scottish or English pale base malt. Small amounts of roasted barley add color and flavor, and lend a dry, slightly roasty finish. English hops. Clean, relatively un-attenuative ale yeast. Some commercial brewers add small amounts of crystal, amber, or wheat malts, and adjuncts such as sugar. The optional peaty, earthy and/or smoky character comes from the traditional yeast and from the local malt and water rather than using smoked malts.

A common misconception of the style. Wee heavy, however does use peated malt.

Back