How much primign sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondlelinger

Reaction score
Hey guys I was curious ion how much priming sugar I will need for 740ml bottles and regular table sugar... I believe its 1 teaspoon but I am not positive either.. Any help?

Yeah, doing each bottle at a time will be a royal pain in the arse. But, from what I've found doing a quick web search...sounds like a 1 tsp/gallon will work.

I dont have a secondarty fermentor.. so I need to prime bottles. It is 1 teaspoon per 740ml bottle from what I have gathered. (these are coopers bottles) If anyone knows for sure please update me

I dont have a secondarty fermentor.. so I need to prime bottles. It is 1 teaspoon per 740ml bottle from what I have gathered. (these are coopers bottles) If anyone knows for sure please update me

Does it matter to you how many volumes of carbonation you'll have? If it does, then a simple "x tsp / bottle" won't give you what you want. If you don't care how carbonated it is, then yeah, 1tsp would be fine.

If you do care how much carbonation your beer will have, use the calculator above to figure out how much sugar to add.

Does it matter to you how many volumes of carbonation you'll have?

Sure if I knew what the differences were :). I'm pretty new to brewing in general and I don't even know the differences in levels.One thing I do know is I don't want to add too much, bottle bombs are not what I am looking for... I just want a nicely carbed beer..that can sit for sometime.

(by the way you're calculators say 5 onze of sugar for 5 galons. ...5 oz x 6teaspon per onze = 30teaspoon per 5galon.... and I have 30 bottles so its actually pretty accurate, as long as i measure accurate.. this 1 teaspoon per 1 bottle should work just fine...

So on the calculator that I linked to, there's a dropdown window at the top with a lot of different beer styles' carbonation volume to give you a reference for the style. Pick whatever type of beer you have, and it will tell you the range of carbonation for that style. Then enter a number within that range in the "desired volumes of CO2" box. Then enter your bottle size in "volume" and room temp in "temp" and select cane sugar, and it will tell you how much to add.

I routinely use 4.75oz per 5 gallon batch, but make sure of the volume of beer before priming. I used 4.75 for what turned out to be about 4.5 gallons and the batch is too carbonated.

If you are brewing to style then you will need to use a priming sugar calculator to get the correct pressure. If you don't care about the carbonation to style ratio then 4.75oz per 5 gallon batch will get you a good amount of carb, after that you can adjust to
your prefetence.

You have no bucket or anything at all other than the vessel in which your beer is sitting now. Is that what you're saying?

If so, well, damn.

I'd go get another bucket. You really really don't want to put a teaspoon of dry sugar in a bottle. It's just asking for trouble: inaccurate measurement, unsanitized sugar, etc.

If nothing else, get some Cooper's carbonation drops! At least those are easy and accurate to measure and sanitary. You need one drop per 12 ounces of beer to be carbonated. Two drops will carbonate one of your bottles. They come in a package of 60; just use two per bottle. I've used them before. It's a good product.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks guys for you ideas but, I just finished bottling. I used the calculator that gave me beer types and such.. I picked the highest carb level and it was 5.07 oz of sugar. I figured out that 5 onces of sugar = 30 teaspoons. I have 30 bottles so it was pretty easy math after that.. 1 teaspoon per bottle. I carefully added 1 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle, capped it and gave each one a good shake. Carb levels might not be exact but should work just fine.. as for sanitized sugar well.. I'll take my chances XD as the drops can't really been fully sanitized either...mind you what really is!! Nothing.. I sanitized good enough and I'm sure the beer will turn out just fine.

A tsp of white table sugar weighs approx. 4.2 grams so 4.2x30 = 126 grams / 28.3495231 = 4.44451921 oz by weight.

You will be fine assuming 5 gallons.

Also:
Shaking = BAD

Back