How much nutrients for K1-V1116 yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffeeh

Reaction score
I'm making a batch of wine with 90% gooseberry, 10% plums (baked, my dad is allergic to stone fruit), and then spiced with elderflowers. These were handpicked in the garden, and have been in the freezer for a while now. For this I'm going with the K1-V1116 yeast strain, fermenting at 16-18C.

I'm aiming for a final yield of 11L finished bottled wine.

I've read on various websites that it's not possible to take a reading of much YAN is already dissolved in the must without the help of a chemistry lab or similar, which is less than optimal for me. However I guess there are experienced people here who may have an idea of how much nutrition I should add. I've ordered a few packets of 10g yeast nutrition - how much will be suitable for my batch?

Hi Steffeeh, and welcome. I'm sure not the answer you are looking for but I would go by the amount suggested by the lab that makes the nutrients. I generally add about 1/4 t of the nutrients I use per gallon of must. But note , some lab manufactured nutrients include organic N and some don't.

Hi Steffeeh, and welcome. I'm sure not the answer you are looking for but I would go by the amount suggested by the lab that makes the nutrients. I generally add about 1/4 t of the nutrients I use per gallon of must. But note , some lab manufactured nutrients include organic N and some don't.
Thank you for the reply. I probably could do that, but if I've understood things right, some yeast strains need more while others need less. The K1-V1116 strain is allegedly more resilient to harsh environments so it probably could use a little less, but I wanna avoid getting off flavours by adding too little or adding too much.

Never found a problem using either TOSNA calculations or the labs' own suggested amounts of nutrients. I agree that different yeasts tend to have different needs but (and not a microbiologist) I would imagine that far more critical with regard to the needs of the yeast are for example, the volume of must and the amount of sugar that you are asking the colony to ferment - One gallon at 1.090 of reisling grape juice is going to require a very different amount of nutrients than the same yeast being asked to ferment thesame volume of apple juice at 1.050 or five gallons of 1.100 of honey must.

Latest posts

Back