How much malto dextrin is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
I missed my mash temp, and mashed too low. Maybe 135 degrees. Now my IPA is going to finish closer to 1.007 instead of 1.017.

Will it taste bad if i add a whole pound of malto dextrin to this 5.5 gallon batch? That would raise the FG from 1.007 to 1.015

my beer has 1.007 FG. it NEEDS the extra body and mouth feel. i want to know if it will ruin the taste.

I think 4-8 oz is the suggested amount for a five gallon batch. I'm not sure I would go much above that. I've also never added it after the fact. I'm assuming you're going to disolve it in boiling water and transfer on top of it in the keg or bottling bucket? As far as the taste, I'm really not sure that it adds much in the way of flavor, but maybe a whole pound MIGHT be noticeable. I'd bet not.

thanks. i don't think i would be happy with a FG of 1.011 (half pound added). looks like this is going to be an experiment in malto dextrin levels.

i will boil, cool, and add to secondary. i have heard that it is 5% fermentable, so i don't want to trow off my carbonation levels, even slightly.

Throw 8 oz in there and see what happens. I'll bet it'll be alot better than you think. I had an oatmeal stout go real thin on me and I added 8 oz. Got me right where I wanted to be. I bet for an IPA itll be fine. What was your OG?

normally, you would only use malto dextrin with extract beer. that is because the mash has already been done. when doing all grain beer like i am doing, you would normally just mash at a higher temperature if you wanted more natural dextrin in the final product, but my thermometer was broken and i mashed at way too cool a temperature.

it really doesn't matter when you add the powdered dextrin. it is only 5% fermentable, so it doesn't need to ferment very much/long. just make sure it gets mixed evenly into the beer, like you do with the bottling sugar. it is easiest to add it when you add the extract, if you use extract.

So, what was your outcome? How did you like the addition. Did it help out? I have the same problem with a texas blonde i brewed. Ended up 1.005 instead of 1.010. i was thinking about adding 4 oz at kegging time since the beer itself shouldnt really have much body, but it currently tastes a little watery.

Back