How much do you pay for your CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay $19 for a 5 lb refill, and living in the SF Bay area we're used to getting shafted (gas prices, taxes, etc.). However, it's 70 degrees and sunny in the middle of winter so I guess I can't complain...

I'm looking for someone to fill up (and test) in the Baltimore area (as I own a new 5# aluminum tank). LHBS suggested a place in Laurel...but that's a 40 minute trip for me.

I just paid $20 for a 5# fill at a Bar/Restaurant supply store near me. If I take a bit of a ride I can get it for almost half the price, I just needed it quickly.

I pay $25 for a 5# exchange at my LHBS. They're the only one in the area that I know of. I gotta find something cheaper. At least there's no sales tax in Alaska!

I took my brand new shinny 5 lb tank to AirGas and they charged me $33 to exchange it for a old one. There was a bunch of add on fees. I found a welding supply house down the street that fills it for $6.50. There is a paint ball shop that fill my 20oz tanks for $2.

Conroe - I don't know if I would go to that place again. I did an exchange at Airgas here in Maryland with my brand new 5# cylinder for $13.20. Ironically the cylinder I got in exchange was the same Catalina brand, and it had a sticker from kegconnection.com on it. The only reason I would think there would be add on fee is if it was an old cylinder that had to be hydro tested. new cylinders are tested from the factory and should be good for 5 years or more.

Paid $6 and change last night to fill my 5#, but it's worth noting that the kid who did the filling only gave me 2.5 lbs... Even better is when he told me that if it weighed 10 when he was done, and 7.5 when it was empty, that must be 4# :confused:

$15 at AirGas or $9 at local welding shop and I have to leave my tank for a day.

guy said some thing about having to chill the tank or some thing.

-=Jason=-

I used to work at a dive shop. Air cylinders can get really warm when you fill them rapidly. Some shops put their scuba tanks in a water bath while filling to combat some of the heat build up. The reason is a matter of physics: PV=nRT - basically warm air takes up more volume (or increase pressure at a constant volume), so at hot tank will hold less gas than a cold tank at the same PSI. Letting the cylinder cool down first allows for a full top-off.

I'm not familiar with kegging systems, but that's my best guess as to why they'd do that.

For chilling the tank, my local guy (Mr Kegs) fills just a bit of CO2 into your tank, then opens the valve to purge it out. This immediately freezes the tank. He then reconnects his hose and does the fill.

Back