How much do you pay for your CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
What do you guys pay for 5# CO2 refill? Only place I could find in town wants $22.00, and they do a swap. I give them my empty, they give me a full. That was almost double what I was expecting to pay.

What do you guys pay for 5# CO2 refill? Only place I could find in town wants $22.00, and they do a swap. I give them my empty, they give me a full. That was almost double what I was expecting to pay.

That is pretty much what I pay for an exchange at the LHBS. You can probably get a cheaper price at a welding shop, or perhaps a fire extinguisher supply shop/etc. The cost to exchange for a 10 pounder is actually only a few dollars more at my LHBS, but they don't have them available very often. That might be an option for you.

I just found a local propane shop that refills (not swap) my CO2 for $8 for 5lb. I went ahead and asked the rest, and I forget what it is for 10lb, but at 20lb they swap, and that is only $17. Definitely hunt around for propane, welding supply, etc type shops. I couldn't find anywhere around me that would refill until I stumbled on this place (which ironically is way closer than any of the other options I considered). I've been told this is a very good price though, and have yet to find anywhere else lower than $12 for a swap.

I was quoted $13 at Airgas and $22 for Roberts Oxygen in the Maryland area. Both are for exchange or fill (but 2 day hold-over).

$15 at AirGas or $9 at local welding shop and I have to leave my tank for a day.

guy said some thing about having to chill the tank or some thing.

-=Jason=-

i pay something like $1 - $1.25 / pound at the liquor store...except they can only put about 7-8 pounds in my 10 pound tank, because their tanks are only like 20 pounds, lol...

20 lb tank filled while i wait (usually 5-10 mins) for $13 and change at local welding shop.

I use Red Comet in Englewood, CO

Welcome to Red Comet!

We fill C02 bottles while you wait providing your bottle is up to current test date. Re-Certification is needed every 5 years. C02 bottles are filled up to 30 minutes before close of business.

Pricing on CO2 Fills:

* 2.5lb = $7.00
* 5.0lb = $8.00
* 10lb = $9.50
* 15lb = $10.50
* 20lb = $12.00
* 50lb = $40.00

Hydro testing is $14.75 on 2.5lb-20lb bottles, 50lb testing is $23.00.

I had to get my 20 lb tank hydro tested. It took about a week for them to send it out to get tested. In the meantime, they gave me a 10lb bottle to use at no charge.

Very friendly people. Highly recommended.

I wonder why my local welding shop couldn't fill it why I waited. he said some thing about having to chill my tank.

-=Jason=-

that's weird... never said anything like that to me. although I suppose if the tank is chilled, it maybe guarantees you a full tank?

$20 for 5lbs at local keg supply store. From what I have found, price ranges between $20-$23/5lbs in San Diego.

Wow...what a wide range. $5-$23. I guess I'm just coming in on the high side. I may try to find some welding shops. The place I found is actually a Napa Auto parts store. Thanks for all the input.

5lb fill for $15, and the medical gas guy comes to my office and fills it there. I usually tip a few more.

$21 for a 20# at a (somewhat) local grow shop. Only problem is that it sometimes takes them a couple of days, so a backup is usually needed.

Bought my 15 lb for $40 full. I haven't needed to fill it yet, but the guy at the place I bought it from said it would cost around $20 to fill a tank, whether it be a 5 lb tank or a 50 lb tank.

I got my tank originally from a local welding shop, got a 5 lb tank then. Realized last time that I swapped it out that I could pay 20 bucks to upgrade to a 10lb tank. They charge 13 bucks for a 5lb tank, or 15 for a 10 lb tank, so it only made sense.

Now that I have gotten into brewing, I am thinking of getting a pin valve regulator for a paint ball tank, which would make taking a corny for tailgating very convenient.

hrm I wonder if I could exchange my 5lb tank for a 10lb tank and pay a difference...

-=Jason=-

The hydro kills it, I already have to pay for that on a half dozen scuba cylinders... trade in yours for theris totally the way to go for this exact reason.

I just started kegging, and obviously got screwed on the CO2... $25 for 5# exchange. That's the problem with both the LHBS around me, they'll be completely reasonable on some stuff and completely screw you on other stuff.

Latest posts

Back