How much do you pay for grain at your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I just started AG and I joined my LHBS grain club. I paid $41 for 50 pounds of grain, that's .82 cents a pound. Unfortunately this is only for base malts, specialty grains are $2 a pound. They keep track of how much grain I'm picking up and when I reach 50 pounds I pay another $41. Pretty good deal IMO. I'm stoked about how much I'm saving vs extract too.

What do you guys pay for grain?

$35.50 for 50# 2row so .71 cents a pound
i have been looking around for a better price w/o buying a ton

You guys are getting good deals, the only way I have gotten prices in that range is through group buys. The lhbs here is $60-75 depending which base grain you want to get.

$30 for 50 pounds of 2-row or 60 cents a pound when buying by the sack. It was $28.50 not too long ago. I think they also sell it by the tenth of a pound for 80 cents a pound.

50ish for a 50lb bag of domestic 2 row. I know I could do a lot better, but I feel that paying the higher price is worth it if it keeps my LHBS owner in business. Nice to have a guy around the corner when I need something on brew day.

RLinNH said:
50ish for a 50lb bag of domestic 2 row. I know I could do a lot better, but I feel that paying the higher price is worth it if it keeps my LHBS owner in business. Nice to have a guy around the corner when I need something on brew day.

Who are you frequenting?

You guys are living in a dream world. I pay $77.50 for 50# of 2-row. $2.50 for all specialty grains.

I think it's a buck thirty nine a pound at my LHBS, for either specialty or base malts. They're pretty pricey.

Wow, I just paid $2.75 per pound for Crystal 40L at my lhbs. I only paid that because I really needed it. Most all speciality grains are $2.99 per lb. I think if I had to buy all of my grain there, it would be cheaper to buy commercial craft kegged offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Wow, I just paid $2.75 per pound for Crystal 40L at my lhbs. I only paid that because I really needed it. Most all speciality grains are $2.99 per lb. I think if I had to buy all of my grain there, it would be cheaper to buy commercial craft kegged offerings.

Yikes! That's outrageous. Even the little LHBS down the road from me is $1.50 for base malts, and $1.75-$2.00 for specialty grains.

Yikes! That's outrageous. Even the little LHBS down the road from me is $1.50 for base malts, and $1.75-$2.00 for specialty grains.

Yeah, that's the price I pay in north Cambridge, MA, which is not a cheap place to run a LHBS (gets plenty of custom and turnover though).

I have to guess they really don't want to hustle bags of grain all day every day so the prices are cranked up to slow that down. When I was there a female was getting a stout order milled, and she bought a 10 gallon Igloo style cool that had the spigot mounted on it. I didn't catch what her bill was, but I bet it wasn't cheap. This is in the Harrisburg Pa area. I like to support the lhbs but with those prices it's difficult to fill a grain bill there.

Most base grains are $2.50/lb and specialty grains are up to 2.99/lb. I can get some from Morebeer delivered at $1.39-$1.99/lb... Guess which I do mostly! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

LHBS charges $1.90/# for base and $2.25/# specialty. Charges $62 for 50# sack of 2-row. I generally wait until I am in Raleigh and pick up a couple sacks there for $42.

closest LHBS is $56/#50 2-row and $67/#55 MO
next closest LHBS is $51/#50 2-row and $58/#55 MO and $68/#55 Belgian Pilsner

Specialty grains seem to average $2.50/lb in 1 lb quantities and maybe $1.50/lb in 10# quantities (wheat and rye malt for example)

$39 for 50# GW 2-row, $59 55# Maris Otter, between 1.30 and 1.60 for most specialties, bulk discounts on anything and organic options. And friendly staff. I'm happy enough with that. FH Steinbarts in PDX.

Here in New Zealand I pay NZ$75 (US$64) for a 25kg (55lbs) sack of premium imported malt such as Bairds Maris Otter or Weyermann Pilsner. Domestic ale malt usually sells for $60 (US$51.50) a 25kg sack. So looks like our prices are pretty comparable with US prices.

$.75/lb for GW 2-row, $1.35 for C-40.

Go check out brewbrothers.biz

my local place is $1.25 for base and specialty malts per lb, $1.50/lb for imported grains

a 50# bag of 2 row is $36
pilsner or imported malts are $52 per bag

$1/LB for base malts and $1.29 for all specialty malts.....I don't buy in bulk amounts. Not sure what they get for a full sack of base malt.

At the LHBS it is about $2.50 by the pound for crystal/specialty malts, small discounts when buying 5 or 10 pound quantities of each. I'm OK with that for small amounts of those malts I don't have in stock.

Base malts are around $1.50-$2.00 per pound for 10# quantities. Yeah really!

We have an active group buy in the area, so we do whole sacks and splits. Most sacks run between $42 and $65, tax and shipping included, depending on brand and variety, vs $63-$85 + tax at the LHBS. That's enough of an incentive to participate in group buys. And we used to get better pricing until fairly recently.

LHBS #1: $1.89/ #. (90 min drive one way)

LHBS #2: $2.00/# most grains
Some specialty stuff is $2.50
(This is 45min one way)

Local store that carries some stuff:
50# Briess 2row $46
55# MO $64

$1.54 to $1.90 per pound for
CR40
CR60
Rye
(This is all they have for now)

76 cents/lb for 2-Row, Vienna, Munich 10....
I just wish their crusher was a little better- I only get about 68% efficiency- but when grain's that cheap, I guess I can afford to buy a little extra to cover

Specialty grains anywhere from $1.15/lb to $2/lb. MO and Golden Promise are $1.15

$1.50 a pound for base grains and $2.00 a pound for specialty grains
$65 for a 55lbs bag of 2-row

I get my 2-row from a local grain cash and carry for $33.60 for 55lb with no tax.

Canadian dollars.

Back