How much cider do you currently have bottled/kegged or fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgressler

Reaction score
Curious how much everyone has on hand currently or normally?

Currently I have 5 gallons of cranberry/apple store bought thats in bottled about 2 weeks. I also have 5 gallons of fresh cider unpasteurized with raspberries bottled less then a week. And I have 5 gallons of unpasteurized cider with clover honey in primary for less then a week.
15 gallons seems like a ton but then thats only like 6 cases so now I am worried it may not last very long. LOL

I have a gallon of store bought AJ with added dark brown sugar in secondary, a half gallon of store bought AJ with black Chai tea in primary and six bottles of 2013 Morgan Sweet apple ageing. Small scale eh!

I have about 10 gal. bottled and ready. I have another 25 gal. Fermenting or aging. Plus a few commercial bombers in the mini fridge.

I have three 6 gallon batches all fermented with different yeasts, aging at this point.

I've got about 2 gallons left of my annual cider brew.

However, Wholefoods round the corner was selling local UV pasteurized apple juice/cider for $2 for half a gallon this week. So my wife bought 11 jugs, and there's now 5 gallons going in the basement on S-04.

1 week after moving in to this apartment and the first brew is on the go.

Somewhere around 14 gallons of mixed home fermentables bottled and then about 3.5 gallons of various things fermenting.

I only have 24 x 12 oz bottles of cider.

However...

I have 10 gallons of perry divided up: 1 gallon 71b with Hungarian oak, 1 gallon 71b with French oak, 1 gallon S04, 1 gallon WLP Saison III, 3 gallons EC1118, 3 gallons Cotes de Blanc. I figure it'll be another 2-3 months before I blend and bottle them.

I also have little 187ml bottles of cider at 4 different carb levels for a later side by comparison to determine what I prefer.

I suspect once my forty cider apple and perry pear trees all reach maturity in a few years I'll be swimming in more than I can handle. Just practicing now.

2 gallons in various bottles undergoing conditioning.
3 gallons of cider bubbling away in carboy.
1 gallon of experimental cider bubbling away in carboy.

All still in 500ml or 750ml bottles, I have 1ga from fall 2012, 1.5 ga from fall 2013 and 10ga from fall 2014. My 2014 raspberry + blackberry + plum wine store is 14 ga.

--SiletzSpey

About 16 gallons fermenting and/or clearing in the basement from this year's pressing party. 6 gallons wild ferment, 5 saison, and 5 x ale yeast.

Took about 5 hours for 8 guys to press over 200 gallons, with time for beers and fire roasted venison steaks.

2014-11-08 15.48.27.jpg

I have 214 12oz bottles and 23 750ml bottles aging right now. I don't think I'm going to be drinking any of it too soon. Needs more time! I also have about 14 gallons of fresh cider frozen in 1 gallon ziplock bags in the freezer. Not too sure what I will do with it. Some will be good for fermenting but some is just better to use as mulled hot apple cider.

I have 214 12oz bottles and 23 750ml bottles aging right now. I don't think I'm going to be drinking any of it too soon. Needs more time! I also have about 14 gallons of fresh cider frozen in 1 gallon ziplock bags in the freezer. Not too sure what I will do with it. Some will be good for fermenting but some is just better to use as mulled hot apple cider.

Wow thats a crap load of cider. To bad you're not my neighbor.lol

Wow thats a crap load of cider. To bad you're not my neighbor.lol

I think it might be two years before I finish the last of it. That way I have cider to drink while I'm waiting for fresh stuff to drink. Better to keep a healthy rotation than trying to rush into drinking stuff that's not ready! I found a number of varieties that are better than others so I know what to target for next year. In the meantime, I have a lot of samples sitting around!

These are my first attempts at cider so I am dipping my toe in the water first. Although fresh cider season is over now but if these turn out as hoped I am just a 40 minutes drive away from an orchard for next fall.
Then I shouldn't have much of an issue buying plenty of cider to have backup's for all year like you have.:ban:

I have a mostly-full five gallon keg from the 2013 cider making workshop at Casalegno Family Farms in Soquel, CA and two five gallon buckets from our pressing in October:

img_0047-64590.jpg

I get the best results when I age my ciders at least a year in the keg. I'm still working out how much cider I need in my pipeline to keep my family and friends happy given that lead time.

I have a 5 gallon keg of tart cherry cider in the keezer. I had high hopes for it but when racking to keg added 1 lb of warmed honey and a quart of tart cherry juice and the honey immediately clogged the dip tube and now it is too sweet. I think I need to get the keg out and shake it to mix better but right now very disappointed.

5 gal batch wiskey barrel aged cider in the corny keg
5 gal batch in the wiskey barrel that the above cider came out of
two 5 gal batches going in primary atm
just kegged 5 gal of cranberry wine so need to fill the now empty carboy

5 gal of Graff bottled ready to drink by this Friday.
12-12oz bottles of my first pale ale left; didn't go great; I suspect funky water
9-750ml bottles of 2-year old apfelwein that is fantastic
18-750ml bottles of a simple juice-only cider bottled about a month, needs a few more months

5 gal of a show mead in secondary
5 gal of Graham's Cider in secondary
5 gal of Graff in primary
1 gal of cider/maple syrup in primary
1 gal of a simple cyser in primary

I'm still not sure it's enough. I figure the more I'm able to bottle, the more I can afford to let it age and get better.

Come back, had a blast last time you visited!

I went to Watkins Glen in Oct. So I stopped by 5 min. after they opened on my way home just to stock up. But I need to come back for cider days this spring. I gotta a bunch of bombers.

About 4.5 gallons left of a apple cherry Cider in keg/on gas for the wife. I used Indian summer apple cider juice for the base and Indian summer cherry juice and a can of FAJC to backsweeten. Sitting on wlp002. She likes it, which is all that matters. It's too sweet for me.

Also I have a couple of aged 22oz. bottles of still apelwein for tonight on ice for a midnight toast. Should be a fun night!

Who wants to make a "how many gallons of cider in 2015" ? Seems like something good to spin off of this thread. Commence arguments over what qualifies as cider in ... 3...2...1... Go!

^^^ this guy gets it! Hahaha

I went to Watkins Glen in Oct. So I stopped by 5 min. after they opened on my way home just to stock up. But I need to come back for cider days this spring. I gotta a bunch of bombers.

Cool, I'll be bringing bottles from all three batches currently fermenting in the basement, plus a few more I'm working on.

I get through about 80 gal of cider each year (I drink too much). No harvest last year so I am drinking the 2011 cider now from the back of the cellar, it was the last big harvest at my place (about 200 bottles left). I bought a pallet load of bottles in 2011, over a thousand bottles so I can bottle enough to get me through a bad year, thankfully have a big crop coming this year so I will be able to put some away.

3 gallons on tap
5 gallons in the secondary
8 16 oz grolsch bottles

Hopefully starting another 5 gallon batch this weekend because I'm running low on bottles

20 gallons on tap, 10 gallons fermenting. 2 gallons apple cherry bottled and ~50 bottles of a bad batch that I can't bring myself to pour down the drain.

25 gallons in 10 months of secondary, 5 gallons finishing primary since last fall and a few 2+yo bottles still in the fridge.

I tried Super-Kleer on a few, all I can say is wow. Now I can continue makes without buying more carboys!

Latest posts

Back