How many volumes can a standard bottle handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
I plan to bottle a Berlinner Weisse tonight and I want to use standard 12 oz amber bottles. However, Berlinner's are usually carbed to 3.5 or 4 volumes. That's 7 oz. of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

Can a standard 12 oz. bottle handle that much pressure or will I have bombs? Has anyone carbed that much before in a regular bottle? Thanks for your help.

Eric

it depends on the bottle. some have thicker walls than others. i suggest getting some commercial examples and drink, drink, drink till you have enough bottles.

Well, I had a Berlinner Weisse last night that came from a standard 12 oz. amber bottle, so I guess that should work for mine.

Has anyone bottle conditioned with 3.5 volumes or higher in a standard 12 oz. amber bottle? Thanks.

I asked the same question awhile ago...I got the answer that around 4 volumes is the limit for a 12oz bottle, though they are obviously different from one another. Bombers can handle a little more.

Back