How many of you can taste the difference in bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I was looking through my notes and I realized that I've used Magnum for every 60 minute bittering addition, then ill use different aroma, flavor and dry hop, hops.

I like them because at 16.75% AA I can save a few bucks and spend my money elsewhere, like I mentioned, later hop additions.

I've been thinkin about doing one gallon experiments, and maybe different bittering hop additions should be one that I do.

Anyone care to discuss personal experience with this?
Thanks!

I'm interested in your results. I also use a lot of Magnum early additions to get IBUs and then follow up with big late additions. I know it's everyone's mantra to do a neutral first addition, but I can't honestly speak to experiencing adverse effects from a "non-neutral" early addition.

It really depends on the hops variety. As an extreme example, 35 IBUs of chinook at 60 minutes for bittering would be so much different than 35 IBUs of hallertauer that anybody could note the difference. The chinook would have a harsher bitterness, with some resiny notes, while the hallertauer would be very smooth and without harshness (all other things being equal).

But for the difference in more similar hops, or hops that are known to be smoother due to the cohumulone level, I don't think there would be that much of a difference.

For light crisp lagers, I'd still go with noble hops. But for many other styles of beer, as long as a non-harsh hop was used I don't think there would be a great difference in the finished product.

Ok I was kinda under the impression that the 60 minute boil would do away with most of the flavors and what not.

I will probably still focus on getting the aroma and flavor from the later additions and bitterness from the high alpha clean bittering hops, but maybe in between big brew days ill get some pale extract and use a different hop. Maybe some one gallon smash brews to see for myself.

Latest posts

Back