How many have had brew days/weekends ruined by FedEx?? - possible theft here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
So I had a package today with two batches worth of grain and yeast that was "delivered" while I was at work. Typically when I see a package being delivered we've left the front house door unlocked as the usual delivery guys from UPS and FedEx leave the package in our hallway (two family house with a main entrance space). So I come home to no package and the FedEx tracking site says, "Left at front door - no signature required". WTF is that!?? Left at front door with no signature required???? It's a big 24lb box, it would never last 6+ hours sitting out in the open without some a-hole stealing it. So now I have no package with which to brew on this nice three day weekend I have.

I called FedEx and got the same repeated apology, was told they would run a trace (useless of course), and when asking about policy they said if there's no signature requested by the shipper they can simply leave it outside the house. WTF?? Sorry, I do have to apologize, I AM reaaalllllyyyy pissed right now so sorry to vent here. I don't know how else to vent out how angry I am.

I was told by FedEx if the driver did leave it out in the open and it's not somehow elsewhere in their possession I would need to contact the shipper to file a claim or something to that effect. I'm not worried about losing any money because I know Northern will fix this and even if for some bizarre reason they didn't I could call my credit company and contest the charge having not received the product. What really gets my blood boiling is how now my three day weekend plans are completely and utterly destroyed. It's heart breaking to work all week every week to have some nice weekend plans completely recked.

The only other thing I'm ticked about is not seeing the face and reaction of the thief as they open a nice big 24lb box to find grains and yeast. Thanks for listening and again, I apologize for venting but didn't know what else to do to somewhat alleviate this aggravation.

Rev.

You can get your address marked as no drop if the area is a problem. The regular drivers are usually pretty good about knowing what they can get away with in which neighborhoods.

It sucks though that is for sure. Sorry for your bad luck.

Thanks man. Typically my block is a good area. Wanna laugh?... the house directly across from mine is a police officers house and he frequently has his police car or SUV parked out front. Only around the corner lives another cop. The thing is only one block over is a single bad block with some apartment buildings that are more like projects, but it's just that one block and nothing big or crazy happens around here. But hey, it's Jersey... a package that big sitting out in plain site for so many hours just doesn't stand a chance. I think also being this season people still think presents are being delivered and whatnot. I am so damn sad right now. I really wanted to make good use of this weekend and now.......

Rev.

I live in a very good neighborhood and I love it that UPS and Fedex will leave the packages since I am not very often home when they deliver. If I had any problems around here I would make a lock box for them to leave my packages in.

Yeah that sucks something fierce. I like the hallway solution... too bad that didn't happen.

As for me I live in a pretty rural area so they typically drop my stuff at my door (semi enclosed porch) and I haven't lost anything yet.

I always get nervous about deliveries while I'm out. Usually, the delivery folks are kind enough to tuck boxes behind pillars on the deck and keep them out of the open.

Sucks to be you. I've had many packages left at my front door and my neighbors / passers-by have never messed with them. [knock on wood] My neighborhood is very lower middle class-ish.

But I did have Christmas lights stolen one year. And Halloween decorations. So yeah, I'd rather have them steal my stupid decorations than my packages.

I hate that they leave packages in my neighborhood. In all honesty, I live in a place where "crime" means kids getting into a fight, playing with fireworks or sitting on a car, or "extreme" cases, some guy who smokes pot, but I still don't trust the "low income" people (trying to be nice), who are sent here to deliver flyers for restaurants, landscapers, handy-men, etc. I caught one trying my neighbor's door handle once and chased him away, you really think a package has a chance if that guy comes and no one's here to stop him?

^^ See you know what it's like here, you're in the same area as I am. Even though people aren't getting shot left and right (this isn't Newark though it's not far away) you still couldn't trust many of the low lifes around here not to commit petty theft.

Rev.

Is there no LHBS close enough? I live about as far-removed from Jersey as possible, so maybe I'm just spoiled. I have a great LHBS 10 minutes away and won't ever need to buy any ingredients online.

Do you really live in that crappy of a place? I've never lived anywhere where I've had to worry about people stealing packages left at my front door, although I will leave a note asking them to leave them on the back porch if it's something expensive.

In your case, tape a note to the door asking the driver to leave it inside whenever you're expecting a package.

^^^You people saying do you live in that crappy of a place. It is known that at this time of year people actually follow delivery trucks around. They hope your not home and when they leave the package on your door the thief comes and gets it. This will happen in richer areas more as the thief knows they have more money. I had a few detective friends on L.I. when I lived there and the missing packages always went up this time of year.

Did you ask your neighbors if they possibly moved it for you? My neighbors are retired and home all day, so they think they are helping sometimes...

I'd say a thief ruined your day, not FedEx.

If you knew the phone number of the person who stole your package, I'd bet you would be calling them instead of FedEx.

IMO, FedEx does an amazing job; in fact I can't imagine how they heck they do what they do. (I understand that you are upset, I would be too)

If they didn't leave packages, I'd never get them, as I'm never home.

One time I laughed, though as I pulled into my driveway. On my front porch (with no cover, just a big open space) was a box from Dell. Nice sized package, just the perfect size for carrying away, with the words, "NEW DELL LAPTOP COMPUTER" visible from the street.

I think the FexEx guy should have left that in the garage or at the back door? Just sayin'.

You'll never get any relief from FedEx... We recently had a huge discussion on a National Motorcycle forum where FedEx has screwed up so many parts it's not even funny. There were pictures and proof and emails back/forth. Stollen, lost, broken... whatever. One guy sat on his front porch all day waiting for a delivery. He checked the website and it said it was delivered + signed for. And he never left the porch watching the driveway. he never got those parts. just don't use FedEx if possible

I'd say there is a good chance it was delivered to the wrong address, i work for the post office and it happens all the time when someone who does'nt know the route delivers. I had it happen to me a few weeks ago by UPS, and i knew it was'nt stolen because i was home when they said they delivered it, someone put it on my porch the next day. I know how you feel, hope you get it back.

Am I reading this right? You say that you have sketchy neighbors down the street that would steal things off your porch but yet you leave your front door unlocked while you go to work?:confused:

I had a fe package stolen when I lived in an apartment and was at school one night and ironically the same night it was delivered, the common lights outside didn't come on leaving my porch light as a spot light on the package.

Am I reading this right? You say that you have sketchy neighbors down the street that would steal things off your porch but yet you leave your front door unlocked while you go to work?:confused.

No, only when I see there is a package arriving while I am at work. We don't have break ins around here, least none that I know of and the two separate inner floor doors are locked. So if they came in it would just be into the small main area not into our houses themselves.

Rev.

if its any consolation, just imagine how pissed the thief is gonna be when he opens the box, expecting an ipad or something, and gets a sack of grain!

If you are worried just have the box delivered to the nearest fedex kinkos store. They will keep it for you, ask for an id to pick it up and they are open when most people get off of work.

If you are worried just have the box delivered to the nearest fedex kinkos store. They will keep it for you, ask for an id to pick it up and they are open when most people get off of work.

I used to do that with them, but iirc you still have to have them come by your home first. I don't know if you can have it shipped there as your shipping address.

if its any consolation, just imagine how pissed the thief is gonna be when he opens the box, expecting an ipad or something, and gets a sack of grain!

I know, I mentioned that at the bottom of my original post:

"The only other thing I'm ticked about is not seeing the face and reaction of the thief as they open a nice big 24lb box to find grains and yeast."

;)

Rev.

Dude, that stinks. I hear ya - when you work so hard all the time, having a long weekend with brewing sounds like paradise. To have that spoiled by no fault of your own is downright evil. It also hurts to know all your stuff will probably end up in the dumpster of a disappointed thief. I wholeheartedly empathize with you and hope you're able to find some consolation prize (buy from LHBS?). What a way to end 2011. Your venting is fully appropriate.

Well good news, it wasn't theft it was a FedEx screwup. One of my neighbors dropped it off just now saying the package was left out on their front porch. Now I need to assess if I still have the time to brew since it's already 12pm here and I typically start earlier. Since both batches are only single infusion I think I can still manage it, and being the one would be a belgian wit (white peach wit) I don't need to do a starter.

Well, glad that's settled.

Rev.

I hate that they leave packages in my neighborhood. In all honesty, I live in a place where "crime" means kids getting into a fight, playing with fireworks or sitting on a car, or "extreme" cases, some guy who smokes pot, but I still don't trust the "low income" people (trying to be nice), who are sent here to deliver flyers for restaurants, landscapers, handy-men, etc. I caught one trying my neighbor's door handle once and chased him away, you really think a package has a chance if that guy comes and no one's here to stop him?
i hear that. i live in a typical middle class area, but being in the city, there's sketchy neighborhoods/blocks within walking distance. i have deliveries stuck inside my side access garage door to keep them out of site from eager eyes (mainly teens).
You think you are pissed, think about the punk that got a bunch of grain and the worst weed he has ever smoked
:ban:

OP, that sucks ball$. i'm sure you can get the issue resolved, but some a$$clown ruined your weekend plans.

edit: just saw your last post... awesome!!!! glad it was an illiterate FedEx driver and not theft! brew on brother!

Thanks man! Yeah I decided to pass on trying to brew today, just don't want to rush it now at this point. But it's a 3 day weekend for me so I still have tomorrow and Monday - that what counts! Thought the whole weekend would be wasted and am glad it's not. Thanks again for the support and understanding guys.

Rev.

I live in a good neighborhood. We get 10 - 20 packages delivered a month (love amazon prime).

We had 4 packages stolen this month. All pon the same day. 2 ups and 2 usps. They were all xmas presnts....including all of my brewing xmas presents.

3 of the 4 are going through investigations and should be recoverable after the investigations are done.

The 4th was from my brother and sister in law. Since that didn't come from a company, and they didn't put insurance or anything on it, those are just lost.

Punk ass caused a bit of scrooge to come out of me this xmas. Really ticked me off.

I live in a good neighborhood. We get 10 - 20 packages delivered a month (love amazon prime).

We had 4 packages stolen this month. All pon the same day. 2 ups and 2 usps. They were all xmas presnts....including all of my brewing xmas presents.

3 of the 4 are going through investigations and should be recoverable after the investigations are done.

The 4th was from my brother and sister in law. Since that didn't come from a company, and they didn't put insurance or anything on it, those are just lost.

Punk ass caused a bit of scrooge to come out of me this xmas. Really ticked me off.

that sucks. bad people tend to go to the nice neighborhoods to steal. they've found that they get better stuff stealing from people who have things rather than stealing from their own poor neighbors.

badbrew said:
I used to do that with them, but iirc you still have to have them come by your home first. I don't know if you can have it shipped there as your shipping address.

Maybe it was just the Lexington store but I would just ship it straight to them. Started doing this after I had some scuba equipment stolen off my porch. A few times I even got a break on shipping cost b/c it was going to a business and not a residential. Course this was 4+ yrs ago

For Christmas this year my wife ordered three kits from ABH for me. She checked the tracking and it stated that it was delivered, left at front door. When she looked, no package. Later that evening, we were out with friends and I get a call from a sergeant at the police department I retired from a few years back stating that one of my local police officers was at my house with a torn open package that was found by a neighbor in a field by my house. Fortunately for me, the thief did not like what he saw in the package and dumped it in the field. When I got home, I checked the package and everything was accounted for. Could have been worse. I definitely can feel your pain.

maybe fedex dropped it off at the wrong address. got adelivery here once and the driver came back for it because it was the wrong house

Vendors should mark boxes clearly with the following disclaimer:

"Warning thieves - this box is full of grain, like cattle feed. Not worth anything. Seriously, cut the box open and check. Not worth your time. Move along. You can come back for homebrew if you want to talk about life"

"Warning thieves - this box is full of grain, like cattle feed. Not worth anything. Seriously, cut the box open and check. Not worth your time. Move along. You can come back for homebrew if you want to talk about life"

LOL, awesome!! :mug: Luckily it wasn't thieves this time.

Rev.

Luckily it wasn't thieves this time.

Definitely a cause for celebration. RDWHAHB tonight to usher in the new year and start 2012 strong with some home brewing. I'll raise a pint to that!

That's a pretty good idea (unless there are other homebrewers about; but then, homebrewers are cool and wouldn't stoop to petit theft, right?)

passedpawn said:
That's a pretty good idea (unless there are other homebrewers about; but then, homebrewers are cool and wouldn't stoop to petit theft, right?)

There are literally thousands of keggles calling you a liar ;)

Back