How many geeks brew beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IT for over 12 years. Total geek. It's funny, lots of people seem to have the same groups of hobbies. Other hobbies include radio/ham/etc, martial arts (purple belt in bjj), cheesemaking, gardening, and being an alcoholic. Leo.

Residential Electrician. I've worked with my hands my entire life. But I've always loved my gadgets and toys (computers, tv, stereo's, etc) and I've taken most of them apart and put them back together again. I'm the handyman for everyone I know.

Brewing satisfies my need for perfection. I'm meticulous and that seems to be a benefit when it comes to making beer. I love that I can make so many different this for making and drinking beer. This hobby does it all for me and most importantly, I get to drink beer.

I may not be a geek, but I am definately a beer geek.:D

I concur. I would only work on a Help Desk if someone invented a way to smack the person on the other end of the phone.

All you need to do is put an electrical contact on the ear piece of the phone, and another on the mouth piece. Of course you would need enough current to jump from the mouth piece and complete the circiut but it wouldn't be worth it without that anyways. Probably control it with some kind of switchboard or something.

Not like I've thought about it ever.......

:rockin:

Other hobbies include ... martial arts (purple belt in bjj), cheesemaking, gardening, and being an alcoholic.

Hah! I've taken BJJ (not enuf time and too out of shape now, my brother's taken it for 5 years now), I've made cheese several times this year, I've got a square-foot raised garden outside now and I'm definitely an almost-alcoholic hahah!

I'm an Accountant, so I guess I'm in. We should have a secret handshake, or one of those signs you can 'throw up'!! FTW Dog... (the new meaning, not the original☺)

Residential Electrician. But I've always loved my gadgets and toys (computers, tv, stereo's, etc) and I've taken most of them apart and put them back together again.

What did you do with all the leftover screws?:D

Cheers from a gadget guy;)

ClaudiusB

I've got a BA in History with a minor in asian studies. Build computers, watch anime, and play video games. But I grew up on a farm, restored old trucks and tractors, and been a liquor store stock money for rich folks.

But now, I am a lowly mall security guard. Hurray for college degrees.

I'm a programmer. Mostly database driven web apps. I identify more with the beer chugging guitar playing side of myself. Programming is just a day job.

It's worth mentioning that this is not a "random sample" of all beer brewers.

Clearly the fact that this is an online forum/chat room will attract a certain
segment of the brewing community and simultaneously repel another segment (the artsy fartsy hippie segment)

Which I'm sure the most of you realize, but like I said, worth mentioning...

Clearly only a geek would point out deviations from the scientific method in our little survey...:D

PhD. Economist (to be). I thought brewing beer would make me less nerdy, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's worth mentioning that this is not a "random sample" of all beer brewers.

Clearly the fact that this is an online forum/chat room will attract a certain
segment of the brewing community and simultaneously repel another segment (the artsy fartsy hippie segment)

Which I'm sure the most of you realize, but like I said, worth mentioning...

Clearly only a geek would point out deviations from the scientific method in our little survey...:D

Definitely some sampling bias here... nerd.

I did IT for about 3 years, then IT in the military for 4 years, and now I'm an aerial gunner on a combat search and rescue helicopter. Do I still count as "geek"?

I'm a programmer. Mostly database driven web apps. I identify more with the beer chugging guitar playing side of myself. Programming is just a day job.

I think the grass is always greener. When I was younger and not working in IT, I'd go home and tinker with my PC, programming, anything I could learn, and I made my living doing construction, or other manual labor type jobs. Now I make my living as a professional IT geek, I get to play with new technology for atleast 40 hours a week, learning new things at work, but my free time at home is now spent either brewing, or wrenching on my motorcycles......things have definatley changed :D

Hey I resemble that remark.

Guess being an ornithologist makes me a geek :)

You can throw in spatial modeling, sci-fi, backbacking, greenland style kayaking, and whatever else interests me at the moment.

...now I'm an aerial gunner on a combat search and rescue helicopter. Do I still count as "geek"?

Gunner in a search and rescue helo... don't they kind of contradict? Still cool though!

I've been in IT for 10 years... Sys Admin/Tech Analyst

Physicist, PhD

Daughters brew beer as well:

1. Poet, getting PhD in creative writing/literature

2. Equestrian

It is a great Father's Day activity.

I was a long hair hippy type till my kids were born. now I am a S.A.H.D. yep. stay at home dad. but I love working on stuff,making stuff. ( I mostly make lunches,dinner and breakfast for my two girls) at this time in my life I have the best F'n job in the world,but I also have dish pan hands and laundry to do.. ;) brewing beer and my garden keep me sane. my wife works long hours and the puter is my only link to other adults most the time. sponge bob has turned my mine to mush.

I am no geek....but I geek out on good beer.

The DREAM! The DREAM! :rockin:

(Except the Sponge Bob stuff)

Agreed!

Software Developer here.

The guy in the cube next to me and the guy in the cube across from me both brew too, so yeah, I kinda think IT types are drawn to the DIY aspect.

Finance nerd here - I study for professional designations on Saturday nights - when i'm not lurking HBT. Surprisingly, I have a really hot girlfriend and even a son. I used to be a professional IT nerd and managed a large tech support group, but went back to finance a year ago.

Wait - SWMBO just IM'd me from the dining room......gotta run.

Aircraft Mechanic...... found brewing when I was at school, now its what I do with what little free time I have, I guess I consider myself a little snobby about beer, never thought I'd be nerdy about it...maybe excited..LOVE the hobby and constructing new brews.

Gunner in a search and rescue helo... don't they kind of contradict? Still cool though!

I've been in IT for 10 years... Sys Admin/Tech Analyst

key word being COMBAT search and rescue :p

We fly where others have failed, or pick injured people out of not so nice areas. In places where terrorists don't care if your only there to help, that's when you send in the HH-60 with our mini's or .50's :)

what about music geeks/band nerds?

i was one all through high school and am pursuing a business management degree to open up a shop one day. Vintage guitars, consignment, all that jazz. *drools*

vinnnnntagggggge instrumeennnnnnnntsssss aghghahhghgghaghghghghgg

I picked up a chemical engineering degree, so I fall smack in the middle of this one. In fact, I think brewing helps me with the fact that I don't use any of chem eng training on the job and it gives me a way to geek out at home. All my friends who brew are engineering types as well, but that might be due to the fact that most of my friends are engineering types anyway.

Geekiness or profession has nothing to do with it. Intelligence does though, even if I am the exception to that particular rule. :cross:

Proud to be "GEEK". EE / Programmer 11 years now. A psycologist friend of believes engineers require their own chapter in the book of crazies.

Back