How many geeks brew beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a Quality Control shop for AH-64, CH-47,OH-58, and UH-60 Helicopters in the Army. I am a Geek with cool tools.

Oh boy... I am a geek, a total dork and a goofy sonofabitch. My first career was genetic research in academia and then pharmaceuticals. Career #2 was infectious disease epidemiology for a health dept. I'm on #3 and am an IT project manager. I love good sci fi, DIY, science and my kids. And proud to be a geeky guy who brews!

Cheers, brother and sister geeks! :mug:

I worked IT throughout high school and college. I've built most of my computers, a few servers, and I'm active in the FOSS movement (free open source software). However, I'm the self taught kind. I enjoy theory, and quantum theory is something I study often. However, In college I majored in History and French, with a minor in Political Science and studied lots of Linguistics (and soon I hope to go to Law school). I have also been into food science for a long time, and after reading about kim-chi (fermented cabbage from Korea) I looked into other fermented foods, which got me interested in home brewing. I've always drunk craft brew, and have lived in France to do research and now to work. My goal is to make a better beersmith, preferably one that can import beersmith files, promash files, and some others. So yeah, I guess this is another geek into homebrewing.

I'm not a geek I just work on the machines that make pentiums.

I would like to know if Aquaman could beat The Tick in water.

IT for almost 13 yrs, Citrix and VMWare is how i spent most of my days, love brewing..and drinking..

I'm so sorry. The last I dealt with it was in high school and the administration resorted to asking their students (me) what was wrong with Citrix.

I am an aspiring young biologist/ecology/research associate. Not really the sci-fi or world of warcraft kind of geek, more of the "i want to know how everything works and interplays with one another so tinker with it" geek. My wife laughs at me when I get my geek on when watching discovery science or when thinking about beer.

I'm a software developer. But "very specific about details?" Not at all. I shoot from the hip, thank you very much. I think it's more tinkerers than anything else. Homebrewing is our adult-level electronics kit, chemistry set, and Erector Set all rolled into one.

I was a long hair hippy type till my kids were born. now I am a S.A.H.D. yep. stay at home dad. but I love working on stuff,making stuff. ( I mostly make lunches,dinner and breakfast for my two girls) at this time in my life I have the best F'n job in the world,but I also have dish pan hands and laundry to do.. ;) brewing beer and my garden keep me sane. my wife works long hours and the puter is my only link to other adults most the time. sponge bob has turned my mine to mush.

I am no geek....but I geek out on good beer.

The DREAM! The DREAM! :rockin:

(Except the Sponge Bob stuff)

several people in the department of Entomology myself included brew beer some are full profs and some like myself are graduate students

Decidedly non-geek. Sports writer, semi-frustrated old jock who sucks at math, couldn't read a design plan if my life depended on it and am only marginally interested in the science of brewing.

What do I win?

I'm a theologian:eek:, but come from a family of engineers and do-it-yourselfers. The science of brewing is a big part of the attraction for me (just behind the part where I make beer and get to sit outside to do it), and by the standards of most people I know, I'm a geek, just one who comes down professionally on the liberal arts side.

Mechanical engineer and now I manage and operate a large quick lube shop. I'm extremelyy interested inthe chemistry and physics involved in brewing, and spend way to much time looking into why things happen.

Cheers

Chemist/Biophysicists currently working in the biotech sector. My major regret is that I don't work in a yeast lab anymore - would have been so easy to make starters then :p

This doesn't matter. To prove you are a geek, there are only three questions: what is your name, what is your quest and what is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

And if you answered the last question with "African or European swallow?" then you are a geek.

Heh! Ok - I am a geek by this definition and proud of it.

I am the "help desk", I order the computers, I set up the computers for everyone where I work. I also do 90% of all quality assurance tests, including final machine safety.
By the way, I work at a place that manufactures particle accelerators.
and I love beer

I'm a software engineer/developer/code monkey. I think a lot of the IT/Engineering results are due to sampling bias though.. Who else would come on a web site to talk about brewing beer? Also, when I'm at the LHBS, it's usually a combination of frat boys trying to brew the cheapest beer possible (and within a week), and the old executive types looking to make wine from a kit.

I'm fairly technical about the way I brew....I'm not a boilogist or a chemist or a microbiologist for that matter.....so maybe that makes me a dork.....but I still like the beer, and I still brew the beer.....anyway....cheers!!!

SSgt Nate Petersen
USAF Security Forces
Air Force Sniper

tumblr_l0cxi589ob1qa8k22o1_4001.jpg

Consultant/Data Architect/DB Developer/General Code Monkey.... depending on the day and the client. Wrote my first basic program at age 11 but have always been a closet nerd. The NewCastle shirt I made had ksh script on it so go figure... High School classmates hear what I do now and are astonished that I'm not a mechanic. :cool: 10 year reunion coming up should be interesting.

I restore/rebuild random vehicles as a hobby. :D Have had almost every automotive hobby out there that has 4 wheels. Recently gone from rockcrawling to wheel to wheel road racing and now back to the freedom of street muscle. I have built cars that have been sold all over the U.S. and one sits in a museum in London and an individual owns one in the U.K.

In the end NERD!! but with a bit of flare... :ban:

I've been stuck doing IT/Telecom helpdesk type crap for the last 6-7 years. I hate it. Hopefully one day soon I can just be a brewer. ;)

But yeah, I guess you could call me a geek. I dig the science behind brewing, even if I'm terrible with and ignore a lot of the math. Working on that, though...

Finishing up my Manufacturing Engineering degree, I also do machine tool and CAD/CAM stuff. Though I really like monkeying around with injection mold designs...

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after work, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven.

I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But, I have not yet brewed a lager.

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven.

I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But, I have not yet brewed a lager.

Are you the STIG?!?!?! :drunk:

I am not a geek by trade ( I run a franchise pizza delivery place...for the glory!), but a geek at home.

I thoroughly enjoy reading and researching anything related to brewing, even the technical "sciency" stuff.

And I play video games...online...with my teenage employees....while my children sleep...

Yep. Geek.

Web Designer + Programmer + Project Manager here. And the guy that taught me to brew is a Network Analyst. Got another programmer coworker who used to brew and a new web designer who might want to learn it. CODE MONKEYS UNITE!

Latest posts

Back