How Many Degrees can Temperature Fluctuate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I built a son of a fermentation chiller as a space and cost efficient alternative to a fridge or freezer with temp control (this is my first time using it, and second batch of beer, first of which was a failure). I'm wondering how much of a temperature swing in terms of °F is OK during fermentation.

The beer I am brewing is supposed to be fermented at 62 degrees. I'm measuring my wort temp with a sticker thermometer and my SOFC is controlled by a bi-metal analog thermostat. I chilled my wort to that exact temp, then pitched my yeast and maintained the temp for 12 hours, but once vigorous fermentation started to happen the temp rose 2-3 degrees. over a period of 12 hours or so. I turned the thermostat down 7 degrees (on the thermostat) and in the past 24 hours it has returned to 62 degrees. I check the wort temp in the morning before work and several times in the evening. I plan to bump the thermostat up and reduce the frequency of ice changes as the fermentation slows, but I'm wondering in terms of °F, how much a temp change is OK during the different stages of fermentation. Will a 2 to 3 degree increase during the first 72 hours have an effect on flavor? If fermentation slows and the temp rises 5 or 6 degrees while I'm at work will this cause fermentation to stop? I'm just curious how anal I need to be about this and if there would be a major improvement in eliminating such temperature swings by investing in a fridge and getting a controller that runs based on wort temp instead of ambient temp in the chamber and monitoring wort temp every 12 hours.

To be clear, I understand the time saving and forgetfulness proof benefits of a "set it and forget it" chamber. I don't mind checking it twice and day and changing the ice bottles as often, I just want to know if the beer will suffer from the inevitable temp swings of not being able to monitor it 24/7.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Two or three degree rise should not hurt your brew unless you were already at the top of the temperature range for the yeast. Cooling late in the ferment may slow things down, but you can warm it again. That style chiller is common enough, I think you're beer will be fine. Keep us posted.

Thanks, I figured it would still be drinkable, I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb for temperature variation from the recommended fermentation temp where there would be little or no noticeable effects.

Back