How many boils do you get off of a 5 gallon propane tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm talking doing a 5 gallon (so maybe 7 gallons to start with) all grain brew outside on a propane burner. I understand that there are alot of variables so just give me the range of how many batches you can boil off of one tank.

I got six doing 5 gallon extract boils. Now that I went to AG, I'm sure it's going to be less since I'm heating up more water.

I have two tanks that I alternate between the HLT and BK. I get (8) 5 gallon brews from the pair, so 4 per tank.

My fifth all grain batch emptied my tank, with only enough juice to do a 58 minute boil. I've done 4 more on the second tank, and while it's not empty, I think I'll re-fill it now to make sure I don't run out any earlier this time.

My fifth all grain batch emptied my tank, with only enough juice to do a 58 minute boil. I've done 4 more on the second tank, and while it's not empty, I think I'll re-fill it now to make sure I don't run out any earlier this time.

I have 2 tanks -- remember running out once (luckily towards the end of the boil), and I wished I had had a second ... also nice if a friend comes to brew but the tank got left behind.

I have a 20 pound rhino tank. Today I did an all-grain and I used 6.5 pounds of propane.

Strike water + 90 minute boil.

So... assuming you could actually get 20 pounds of usable propane out of the tank (you cannot) you could get 3 brews.

hmmm... I got 7 brews (5 gal batches) out of the left overs from a nearly empty 20#/5gal tank that was too low in pressure to run my gas grill. And i've already done 3 brews on the refill of that tank, and it still feels/sounds full.

I build an 18ga steel box that fits around the burner/stand that funnels the heat all directly toward my brew pot. i keep a boil with a much lower flame now. I figured it improved my propane efficiency but i didn't realize it did that much.

I build an 18ga steel box that fits around the burner/stand that funnels the heat all directly toward my brew pot. i keep a boil with a much lower flame now. I figured it improved my propane efficiency but i didn't realize it did that much.

Can you post a picture of it?

I got at least 6 AG from my last propane tank. I turn the flame down once the wort comes to a boil and keep it at a low boil. I also have a spare propane tank so I can use up all the gas in a rhino tank before exchanging it.

I got three hours of boiling wort action on my last brewday (2 batches). I thought the tank was almost empty when I started, but never ended up actually using up all the propane when the wort was done. I think the answer is really YMMV. My HLT is electric, so I've got the benefit of starting with ~145-155F stuff on my propane burner anyway. If I were heating strike/sparge water with propane, I would think that my usage would be way up.

I get 4 brews. But. There are lots of ways to heat, and people do it differently, even with 5 gallon batches.

1. I heat my preheat water in the house, where the propane is MUCH cheaper than in 20# cylinders. The preheat water later becomes my sparge water.

2. I heat the strike water on my propane burner in the garage- but I'm using a fairly small (for 5 gal. AG) brewpot, only 30 qt., AND it's insulated (I used automotive firewall insulation from JC Whitney).

3. For the boil, I do not attempt to get the "volcanic" boil that is seen on many videos. I just shoot for a nice barely rolling boil, and leave the gas set there.

So- I get 4 batches, but someone who does things differently is likely to get different mileage from a cylinder.

Back