How low can you go? (outside temps)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lowest I ever brewed was 18 degrees. I brewed in my garage with the door open and the pot right at the edge. With the burner going, temps weren't all that bad for me personally, but any spillage at all pretty quickly turned to ice. So from then on, I gave up brewing if it was under 32 F. I would just watch the 10 day forecast and if I saw any day that was going to be right around 32, I planned a brew.

I don't mind brewing in the cold as long as I stay in the garage (out of the wind). Brewed in the low 20s/high teens about 2 weeks ago and had a great time. Garage warmed up to about 35-40 but felt nice sitting by the propane. I just made sure to wrap my cooler w/ a sleeping bag to help hold temp.

One time I made an attempt at brewing outside with similar weather and the wind made it pretty rough. I had to makeshift a wind block to keep off my flame. Took forever to reach a boil that day

Here is what I’m currently brewing in. At least the steam is keeping my hands from freezing.
IMG_0570.JPG

Back