How long will Wort keep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
So as the weather gets colder and busyness of having 3 kids and one more on the way soon my time is rather limited to get outside and brew.
I have a week off coming up and i want to get a brew or two in while i have some spare time but my space is limited in my kegerator(2kegs).
I will be kegging the 2 batches i brewed 2 weeks ago this week but if i were to brew next week it wouldnt be kegged for another 3-4weeks when they kick..
So am i able to brew then let it sit down in basement without yeast and when the others r getn down i can pitch the yeast??.

Uh, just pitch the yeast and let it ride... 3-4 weeks isn't that long.

What are you brewing?

Uh, just pitch the yeast and let it ride... 3-4 weeks isn't that long.

What are you brewing?

I agree, 3 weeks is my min. for fermentation. Get it going, then let it sit. Letting wort sit without yeast just sounds like trouble.

Just go ahead and ferment out. Hold off on dry hopping the IPA until you're getting close to kegging. I definitely wouldn't let yeast-free wort sit for any appreciable amount of time and expect a clean fermentation.

You can certainly let it wort sit without pitching the yeast. However, if any wild yeast/bacteria get in there then you increase the chance of them getting a foot-hold ahead of the intended yeast. If you can ferment them and let them sit for 3 weeks, that's ideal. But if you need to let the wort sit, then make really good sure that the container is well sanitized, minimal head space and well sealed.

Back