How long will LME stay fresh if in unsealed container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I buy my LME by the litre, buy bringing in my own container and they fill it up for me. Normally I get my materials on brew day, but I was thinking of picking it up a week or so early. I know they use nitrogen (or something) in their large vat to keep the LME fresh. But once I tap it and buy a few litres, how long can it sit before it degrades? Is a few weeks in the fridge going to make any difference at all?

Thanks

I was kinda hoping to buy this stuff soon, I should never have posted this on a Friday...

I bought 33 pounds of LME last year, and still have a couple of half gallons left in the fridge. I parted the big jug out into 1/2 gallon washed and sanitized milk cartons, then filled them to overflowing, loosely placing the caps on them then squeezing till the extract came out and tightened the caps. Probably about 8 months old now, but I think I'll make a quick light SMaSH batch to see how it turns out. Not much to lose except time, but I'll taste to see if it's funky.

Well, for the record I use those glass containers with swing top lids, also made of glass. the opening is about 4 inches wide and has a rubber gasket, which I'd keep sealed and refrigerated. Thing is it would be exposed to air in the container. But it sounds like a week would not have killed me.

OK, next time I'll know. Thanks

Back