How long until I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcgill

Reaction score
Made a Fat Tire clone. It has been in my fermenter 6 days. Did a gravity check and its 1.12 range of FG is 1.14-1.10. Could this be ready to bottle in next few days? 7-10 days seems fast? But I am no expert.

rmcgill said:
Made a Fat Tire clone. It has been in my fermenter 6 days. Did a gravity check and its 1.12 range of FG is 1.14-1.10. Could this be ready to bottle in next few days? 7-10 days seems fast? But I am no expert.

Sounds like a barley wine. Not even close to bottling. A good FG would be like 1.010. I do 3 week fermentation no matter what except wheats.

Sounds like a barley wine. Not even close to bottling. A good FG would be like 1.010. I do 3 week fermentation no matter what except wheats.

Side question: Why is it only for wheat that you do a shorter fermentation time?

I agree. A lot happens after initial fermentation, like the yeast cleaning up its by-products. I would leave it for at least 2-3 weeks.

He means 1.012 it seems.

It's probably pretty much done fermenting since you are right in the middle of your expected FG but I'd let it ride another week either way. You could check another reading then, and if about the same go ahead and bottle.

wfowlks said:
Side question: Why is it only for wheat that you do a shorter fermentation time?

Many people do less for wheats. Some grain to glass in a week.

You're missing a decimal place there! I'm sure you meant 1.012.

In any case, it would be ready to bottle if you want to bottle it. I mean, the bottles won't explode or anything. That said, I'd suggest pulling out a sample in a small glass and let it sit for a minute. If the beer is totally clear, it's ready to bottle. My guess is that it's not, and as it sits a whole lot of crud will start to fall out. Stick the glass in the fridge and check it tomorrow morning. I bet the beer will be nice and clear, with a ton of sediment in the bottom.

If you bottle a beer that isn't clear, the bottles won't explode. But all of that crud will be in the bottle (and in your beer) instead of left behind in the fermenter.

I'd wait at least another 10 days before bottling, so that you can have a nice clear beer to bottle and less thick crud in the bottle. If you can wait even longer, that'd be even better.

rmcgill said:

If you get the same gravity reading three days in a row it's done. 7 days isnt too fast. A lot of commercial breweries go grain to glass in two weeks, and carbing takes several days. I'd let it sit in primary a few more days until it looks like its clearing up a bit, then bottle. Taste it too. If it tastes good it's prob done.

ALso just checked on it still bubbling a little. I'll give itt a min of one more week do some FG checks and bottle them up

A lot of commercial breweries go grain to glass in two weeks

Do you know of any in particular? Just my curiosity to see if I could tell by the quality. I would guess Yeungling is one of them as well as miller light, and bud lite. Because of the mud butt or the bud mud that you get after drinking them.

Doubtful on those beers. Those are lagers and require much more time than ales to condition.

Back