How long to dry hop for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkali860

Reaction score
I brewed a single hop Citra last night, and want to dry hop it to get as much Citra flavor as possible. I know Citra has very high alpha acid %'s, but this wouldn't effect dry hopping correct? Any recommendations on how long to dry hop for before I bottle?

Cheers!!

Dry hopping won't impart any bitterness, so don't worry about the AA%. I dry hop for 3-5 days in the primary fermenter, after primary fermentation has finished or is close to it, and the yeast has had a little time to clean up.

I prefer shorter (3-5 days) since I've gotten a distinct grassy flavor (which thankfully mellowed over time) @ 7 days with Cascade.

While I can't tell you an exact amount of time for dry hopping, I can assure you that time makes a huge difference. Better to go less than more. I typically dry hop for just a few days before kegging or bottling.

I made a pale ale with Citra. I normally would have dry hopped for a week but this beer decided to slowly ferment a while longer after it was at my expected FG so I left the hops in there until the gravity quit dropping, two weeks total of dry hopping and I think it turned out great.

Would those with more experience dry hopping recommend adding the dry hops closer to bottling time? I've done it before in the primary and then left out the hops in the secondary and been happy with the result, a more mellow hoppy aroma but still distinctly there. Also Dry hopping with pellets seems to make a bit of a mess, I've used a tea ball to keep it clean, I've heard others using weighted bags, any some just letting them loose. any thoughts?

Finally, if the AA's don't matter how much hops do you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've been dry hopping in the primary and leaving out the secondary. No real need for a secondary if all you are doing is dry hopping. The hop aroma will dissipate or disappear in only a few month, like 2 or 3. I'd want the hopping to be the last thing I do before bottling.

I dry hop with pellets and just drop them in thinking that being dispersed like that they would give up more aroma. I don't know if that is true though. I've been using just an ounce of hops and I get the aroma I want. YMMV

Dry hopping period should be completed as close to packaging day as possible to retain all the aromas as fresh as possible.

I like to dry hop for 5-7 days regardless of the hops being used and I typically use no less than 2-3 oz. For citra I can't really tell you, I'm not a fan, they taste like cat piss to me......YMMV as well;)

Thanks for all the responses. Would anyone recommend doing two stages of dry hopping? One at 7 day from bottling and the other 3 days from bottling? Or am I just making it more complicated than It needs to be?

Cheers!

Thanks for all the responses. Would anyone recommend doing two stages of dry hopping? One at 7 day from bottling and the other 3 days from bottling? Or am I just making it more complicated than It needs to be?

Cheers!

There is certainly nothing wrong with doing that and it may add some complexity to the aroma/flavor profile. That's the fun of brewing, use your imagination and be creative and experiment!

I dry hopped in two stages, one at 6 days and another at 3 days before bottling. I used the same amounts in each dry hop 14g's (I'm only doing 1 gallon batches for now). I got a taste of it before I put it into bottles and couldn't be happier. Really amazing how it tasted and smelled for being warm and uncarbonated. Thanks for all the advice guys, Cheers!

Dry hopping too long can add a grassy aroma and taste, but that does go away after time.

Also, dry hopping really only adds aroma, which does enhance the taste through smell. There should not be any additional bittering.....Unless you dry hop for several months.

Finally, it all depends on the style and hop you are using. The best thing is to start at 5 days and take a sample, or sniff. If it seems right, bottle/keg. If it needs more, go an a day or two or whenever you feel it is right.

It is always a learning process.

Hop rocket during bottling will do a wonderful boost to aroma but I cant pay that much for something I wouldnt use a lot. When I dry hop I do a week or 2 and havent had a problem. I always use whole leaf when dry hopping. Anytime less than that I didnt have lasting aroma.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

When I transfer to secondary (after a week in primary) is when I always add my dry hops. Always use pellets because I figure without a boil would not get as much out of it. Stays in secondary for 2 weeks.

Not that I have tested it but I wouldn't bother with staging my dry hops at different times. It's not like in the boil where additions at different times bring out something different. Again, am just figuring here.

The HopRocket looks awesome. It doesn't seem too complicated and with some brainstorming I feel like there would be a way to replicate it at home. Probably my next project if I can figure it out.

Yeah, dry hopping at two stages that close in time is probably not necessary. I will try some other techniques and see which one I like best.

Anyone have any different or interesting dry hopping techniques?

Back