How long for whole hops to settle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I dry hopped my ipa with an 1.5 oz of centennial whole hops last monday the 9th. I put the bucket outside to cold crash a little over 24 hours ago and the whole top layer in the bucket is still hops, I can barely see beer. How long does it usually take for whole hops to settle to the bottom of the bucket? I was hoping to bottle soon but there is a crapload of stuff floating around still.

When I dryhop with leaf hops, mine never settle to the bottom- they stay afloat on top. Just use your sanitized racking cane or autosiphon and push through them and rack from above the trub and under the hops. It'll work fine!

When I dryhop with leaf hops, mine never settle to the bottom- they stay afloat on top. Just use your sanitized racking cane or autosiphon and push through them and rack from above the trub and under the hops. It'll work fine!

I thought that might happen I was considering putting one of my paint strainer bags over the end of the cane with a zip tie and racking with that to strain most of the particles out.

I dry hopped my ipa with an 1.5 oz of centennial whole hops last monday the 9th. I put the bucket outside to cold crash a little over 24 hours ago and the whole top layer in the bucket is still hops, I can barely see beer. How long does it usually take for whole hops to settle to the bottom of the bucket? I was hoping to bottle soon but there is a crapload of stuff floating around still.

I did the same thing .5oz each Centennial/Amarillo leaf and most of it is still dry...is it ok to push them down in the beer? What is the point of dryhopping if most of the hops are still dry?

I did the same thing .5oz each Centennial/Amarillo leaf and most of it is still dry...is it ok to push them down in the beer? What is the point of dryhopping if most of the hops are still dry?

I let mine soak for a day but they still werent all wet, so I just pushed them down a little bit until they were soaked through.

Back