How long for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a follow up to my previous post about yeast usage I also wanted to ask. As I am moving into 5 gallon brewing I am recognizing that this is fundamentally the same as smaller size brewing but in application the process works a bit differently. If I am brewing a pretty average American IPA as a 5 gallon is there a rough estimate of primary/secondary fermentation times? I know to check the gravity and if I see it settle to a contstant over a couple of days but should I bother checking after two weeks.
Essentially my question is does more beer mean longer fermentation time?

Thanks for the wisdom I know I will receive.
~Dan

If you pitch enough healthy yeast (i.e., make a starter), fermentation should take about the same amount of time as for a smaller batch. But the beer decides the schedule, not the calendar.

Larger volume does not mean longer fermentation. Apart from ensuring it is finished, there is no 'correct' fermentation time. Many on here will tell you to leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks and bottle (no secondary). I personally secondary beers, but rarely get one in the bottle in less than 6 weeks (I have a lot in the pipeline, and often go a few months), but I see no issues with using a primary only.

Large commercial brewers want to turnover product quick and can be in the bottle within a week. Some folks on here try and see how quick they can turn a beer and claim they can be drinking it within 10 days (when kegging).

Do what you feel is right. I would suggest at least 2 weeks before bottling. Longer will help clear the beer with less sediment in the bottle.

Some beers benefit from long conditioning. Hoppy beers are better 'fresh' as the hop character fades with time.

THanks for the feedback about fermentation time. It was a new experience on the 5 gal system and I pitched in the yeast and while I was expecting the same vigorous bubbling that I had seen in previous smaller volume batches the one didnt seem to have the same...enthusiasm. That said, it produced gas and was bubbling but has slowed down a bit so I am going to start checking the gravity to see if we have stopped.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back