How long for a diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moezart

Reaction score
Hello.
I have a ginger IPA on its 14th day in the fermenter. (5 gallons with US 05 yeast) yeast was sprinkled on wort @ 65, then went, immediately into an ice bath @ 50F (trying to experiment with ale brewing at low Temps). Day 12 Iraised the temp up to almost 70F for a diacetyl rest, after which I am going to cold crash it then bottle it.

Now, the issue that I have is that I wont be able to bottle it until next Saturday ( 7 days after it had already been diacetyl-rested for 2 days)
My dilemma now is can I just keep the diacetyl rest going for the next 7 days, or should I cold crash it fir the next 7 days, or should I just split that period between the two processes???
What would an expert do?
Thanks a lot!

If you are very concerned about diacetyl, then keep it warm, it won't hurt anything to do that. But I'll bet there was not much diacetyl in there anyway, in which case you can go either way. Taste it and find out. If no diacetyl, then do what you want.

The longest I gave had to d-rest 05 is 4 days. If you don't force test then you should be safe at 4. It can easily finish earlier, but not worth crashing without a test.

My schedule is normally much shorter so you may not need much rest.
3 days primary (repitch) then dry hop, 4 days d-rest then crash.

It seems to me that the beauty of using US-05 is that you don't have to worry about stuff like this. I've never experienced or heard of diacetyl problems with it, and everything I've heard suggests that it's cleanest when fermented in the higher end of its range. So why not just do a single-stage ferment at 68-70° F?

It seems to me that the beauty of using US-05 is that you don't have to worry about stuff like this. I've never experienced or heard of diacetyl problems with it, and everything I've heard suggests that it's cleanest when fermented in the higher end of its range. So why not just do a single-stage ferment at 68-70° F?
Thanks. I just wanted to see the benefits of fermenting an ale at low temp then get it to clear up without ant diacetyl! We'll see

I normally ferment 66 or less to slow things down. With a fresh repitch 05 eats like 04.
If you don't package (bottle/can), and have proper kegging/ferm procedures, then Diacetyl may never manifest.
First hand experience, 05 is definitely not immune to Diacetyl.

Back