How long do you maintain ferm temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I use the same mini fridge for fermentation and kegging (which I just started). I don't drink enough to warrant getting a separate kegerator. How long should I let my beer ferment before swapping out for a my keg?
I've had an IPA fermenting for a week with WLP051. It's down to 1012 or so. Surely it would be fine for it to sit at room temp for a couple weeks before secondary right (70-75*)? Just want to get some opinions. I want this beer as close to perfect as possible.

Seven days is probably long enough, 10 for sure (the colder you have been fermenting at the longer I'd leave it). I'd move it to the secondary then let it sit at the different temp. When fermenting ales in the future, it should be fine to just ferment the whole thing at 70-75.

Till its done...

OK, you know someone had to say it. I'm in the same boat as you. I have a separate kegerator, but I'm always swapping stuff around because my 'ferm chamber' is the same as my 'crash cool' chamber. I sometimes will have one beer in fermenting, swap it out for something else to ferment, then swap it back in to crash cool, then swap the second in to crash cool... That's alot of work! Anyway, for fermenting times, it really depends on how fast its going but I like to give it at least 2-3 days after the activity has stopped. That's usually about a week for me. I've had some 9-10% beers that are still putting along after a week though, those get a little bit longer.

Many people let the beer temps rise as the ferment is finishing up or done. Skip secondary and let it sit for a few weeks as you mentioned.

When fermenting ales in the future, it should be fine to just ferment the whole thing at 70-75.

Woah, no way man. If you have a chamber, use it. The single biggest improvement I made to my beer was when I stopped just fermenting in the house. You have to remember that fermentation is exothermic and the inside of the fermenter can easily be 5 degrees warmer than the surrounding air. It's even worse if you have it in a closet or something and you're counting on the household thermostat.

Woah, no way man. If you have a chamber, use it. The single biggest improvement I made to my beer was when I stopped just fermenting in the house. You have to remember that fermentation is exothermic and the inside of the fermenter can easily be 5 degrees warmer than the surrounding air. It's even worse if you have it in a closet or something and you're counting on the household thermostat.

Yeah, I've noticed a difference since using the chamber. The WLP051 called for 66-70*. I started out at 64 to account for temp difference. I'm catching on. :rockin: I'm only on batch #6 but it's amazing the improvement, since I have picked up tips from you guys.

I don't see how you could use the same fridge for fermenting and serving. Serving is best done around 40, and fermenting occurs in the 60's.

As far as the question: once it stops warming itself, you can let it out into ambient temperature. IMO one of the greatest benefits of temp control is avoiding the temp drop as activity drops off.

Latest posts

Back