How long can I reuse my bottles until I need to start buying a new set?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzan.sandy

Reaction score
Hi, I been home brewing for about 2 plus years out here in Nigeria… However because of my location It’s a little expensive to get things shipped this way. I have been able to acquire some 2nd hand bottles that I thoroughly cleaned and been using them since I started brewing. So far it has been fine but I just wondered if there was an expiration on these things?

Attachments

• 13E2EDCC-8DDE-45E0-9C68-876655AEE96A.jpeg
    13E2EDCC-8DDE-45E0-9C68-876655AEE96A.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 0
Glass generally breaks down due to stress from striking/dropping or because the pressure inside is too much for the bottle and weakens the seams. I would venture a guess you get fairly sturdy bottles designed for reuse so you should be fine if you don't beat up the bottles or try to carbonate sparkling wine in them.

Many of the bottles we get in the US are designed for one way use so they are thinner and more prone to losing integrity at the seams from repeated use. That said, I've used those same bottles for many years to bottle condition and only ever had a couple break.

I am using 30-year-old Grolsch bottles and just bought another batch of old Fisher bottles from a home brewer that is switching to kegging. They will last for a long time as long as you keep them clean.

I have been brewing for 15 years or so, and though |I mostly keg now, there's still a couple styles I bottle. I think i have a few bottles that have been around since that first batch - they probably have had 20 or 30 batches through them at this point. As others said, as long as you clean them well, and are careful about not dropping them or severely overcarbing, you should be fine indefinitely.
I make sure to rinse them well after emptying, so nothing has a chance to grow. take that minute now, it'll save you an hour later. Most of the time they just need a rinse again then sanitizing before filling again.

I have Budwieser bottles that I have used over 20 years. They were the returnable bottles with the heavy case with dividers. No idea how long they were reused before I got them.

Back