How long can I go??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
I am putting in a keezer and want to run beer lines from the keezer to behind my bar in the basement. How long can I run my lines safely-ie sanitation, foam etc....My ideal length to do project would be around 8-10 feet exposed outside keezer? Is this possible? I know the first glass of every pint will be nasty old beer! Any other issues I should be concerned with? :cross:

From what I've read, you want to keep the lines short, much less than 8 to 10 feet. But I'm no expert, so perhaps someone else can elaborate.

I have this hilarious image in my mind of your keg in the basement, and taps placed randomly all over the house. One in the bedroom, one next to the couch where you watch tv, one in the bathroom next to the toilet roll dispenser.

I have this hilarious image in my mind of your keg in the basement, and taps placed randomly all over the house. One in the bedroom, one next to the couch where you watch tv, one in the bathroom next to the toilet roll dispenser.

That sounds awesome, but I really just want to run a line from a storage area behind my bar. It will travel from my keezer under the stairs, inside the wall, to the taps attached to the bar wall. It will take around ten feet of line.

I can still dream. :)

The dream has evolved so that the taps look like ordinary objects. Like I walk over to the table lamp and a tap is built in to trigger off of pulling the light chain. Is that an urn with grandpa's ashes over the fireplace? Nope, there is another tap built into it.

The hidden tap game sounds like a home renovation project that definitely needs to happen somehow.

I guess I will run 10 feet of 3/16 and try it. If someone thinks otherwise speak up or forever hold your peace.....

The 10' run is not the issue, temperature control is the issue...you'll want to run that line inside a line that you can pump coolant through to keep the beer at serving temp. Since it will sit in that line when not being poured it will need to stay refrigerated.

10 feet is a lot of line for beer to get warm and old in. You would be wasting a pint (or part of one) everytime you started pouring after a hiatus. Maybe you could insulate the line to keep it chilled between pours? That would help for the short term, but you still have the long term issue of 10 feet of stale beer between sessions.

To skidmarks point: Depending on the size of your beer lines, it is not un-common to have 10 feet of hose coiled up in the keezer, so there is no problem there, but if you have that on the outside of your cold box you will have quite a bit warmer beer in the first pint, and if has been a day or 2 you might get more gremlins growing in there.

It is not uncommon for bars to have the lines running up from the basement, but they keep the lines cool.

Give it a try and report back, I am interested to see how it works.

Back