How long can fermentation continue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buMbLeB

Reaction score
I apologize in advance - I neglected to take notes on the batch in question, so I'm going by memory here. Anyway, sometime in early-mid July I started a batch of apricot wine: basically I boiled a few pounds of frozen apricots, added table sugar to get OG around 1.080 - 1.090, and fermented. After perhaps two weeks I siphoned the must from under the now-floating pulp into secondary, where it's been ever since.

It's STILL BUBBLING!! It's slow, maybe a bubble every minute or two in a one gallon carboy, but it's constant. I'm confident it was already below 1.000 before I transferred it, so what could still be fermenting after over two months? It's dropped clear with only the slightest hint of dusting on the bottom of the bottle. The only mistake I made was not filling it quite to the neck, so there's a bit more airspace than optimal, but it looks completely clear and uninfected.

Is this somewhat normal?

Check your SG. 99% chance that will answer your question. Report back.

Yeah, I've been reluctant to mess with it since I'd assumed it would be done putting off CO2 a long time ago, and with the extra headroom I worried I'd O2 it. I assume it's not yet bottomed out, I'm just curious how this is possible.

If you &/or others don't think I'm likely to oxidize it by checking at this stage, I'll go ahead as you suggest. If it really is still in the process of dropping, is this a reasonable timeline? I usually expect fermentation to stop in less than two weeks, and have already bottled a plum wine I started a few weeks later that was right at 0.990.

Apricot wine sounds great! I plan on getting some locally-grown (well, the Flathead Valley is about 300 miles away, so I guess "Montana grown") apricots and try it next year. I have a couple of recipes and could share if you'd like.

Hopefully, some of the more knowledgable members will be along to offer some better advice, but my first thought would be to top it off with something- either a similar wine or even a little water, if you have to. You don't want your wine to oxidise. How much headspace are we talking about? If it's up to the bottom of the neck, you should be okay.

As for the fermentation issues, I noticed a similar phenomenon when I made my chokecherry and rhubarb wines. At the time, someone (I can't remember who) suggested that it could be fluctuations in temperature causing some gassing off. If this isn't the case, (or even if it is), I'd suggest just leaving it be. My experience with wine seems to be that when it's done, it's done. As long as you protect it from oxidation (use a campden tablet every other time you rack, etc.), all should be good in the end. My impression is that these country fruit wines are pretty hard to ruin.

Yooper recommends racking the wine whenever the lees are 1/4- or 1/2-inch deep (I forget which), and when no more lees fall after 60 days, it's basically done and ready for stabilizing/bottling. Sounds like sound advice to me, and worth a go.

Hope this helps - let us know how it goes!

Ron

Sometimes the yeast finishes and proceeds to outgas the extra CO2 for quite a while. And one of my theories is you can have slowed fermentation especially at the end of things if the yeast are low on nutrients. You might try giving it the swirlies without opening up the jug, to offgas some, and see if that slows it down. Also check the gravity, as stated. I don't know if you worry about chemicals, but a little bit of campden (potassium metabisulfite) would help counteract oxidation.

Apricot wine sounds great!

I tasted when transferring, and it was already really good! Very strong, full flavour, almost like a liqueur. I'm cautiously optimistic it will turn out well. I pretty much winged (wung?) it, so recipes are very welcome for next time.

How much headspace are we talking about? If it's up to the bottom of the neck, you should be okay.

Just below that - I'm above the bottom of the shoulder but below the neck. I suppose I could boil some water and top that bit up, thanks.

As for the fermentation issues, I noticed a similar phenomenon when I made my chokecherry and rhubarb wines. At the time, someone (I can't remember who) suggested that it could be fluctuations in temperature causing some gassing off. If this isn't the case, (or even if it is), I'd suggest just leaving it be. My experience with wine seems to be that when it's done, it's done. As long as you protect it from oxidation (use a campden tablet every other time you rack, etc.), all should be good in the end. My impression is that these country fruit wines are pretty hard to ruin.

The apricots (and the plums, and now the concords) are all from my Dad's property, and he believes he's allergic to sulfites. He pretty much just drinks my wines these days, and he's getting most of these for Xmas - so I'd like to avoid campdens or anything similar. So far I've been lucky. Any other advice in the same vein? I definitely appreciate your input. :mug:

Sometimes the yeast finishes and proceeds to outgas the extra CO2 for quite a while. And one of my theories is you can have slowed fermentation especially at the end of things if the yeast are low on nutrients.

Good points, will swirl! I'm trying not sulfite per above, but thanks for the insight.

Wine may bubble for many reasons, from active fermentation to a change in outside barometric pressure. If you have headspace, it should be corrected immediately by racking to a smaller vessel, or topping up with a similar wine.

Yeah I think you're right, I've got wines competing for the smaller vessels, but this one is a priority. Thx!

The apricots (and the plums, and now the concords) are all from my Dad's property, and he believes he's allergic to sulfites. He pretty much just drinks my wines these days, and he's getting most of these for Xmas - so I'd like to avoid campdens or anything similar. So far I've been lucky. Any other advice in the same vein? I definitely appreciate your input. :mug:

Remember that ANY wine, even without added campden, contains sulfite. It's a natural product of fermentation. If he's truly allergic to sulfites, he should never eat things like raisins (which have far more sulfites than wine), beer, cheese, powdered sugar, sauerkraut, etc. A sulfite allergy is extraordinarily rare, but can kill asthmatics. My guess is that if he can drink an occasional beer or have a glass of homemade wine, he's not allergic to sulfites.

However, if you choose to not add sulfites to your wine that is fine of course. In that case, I'd be extremely cautious to never have ANY headspace once the wine gets below about 1.020, since sulfites help prevent oxidation. Added sulfites disipate, so they are generally added several times to the wine and it binds to the wine so oxygen can't. Oxygen is the death of wine, so I would definitely always top up (always, always), and rack very cautiously or push the wine via co2 transfers if possible.

I tasted when transferring, and it was already really good! Very strong, full flavour, almost like a liqueur. I'm cautiously optimistic it will turn out well. I pretty much winged (wung?) it, so recipes are very welcome for next time.

I'll see what I have. I have a couple of books, but to be honest, I mostly rely on the advice of the folks here -they're great!

Just below that - I'm above the bottom of the shoulder but below the neck. I suppose I could boil some water and top that bit up, thanks.

Smaller vessel would work just as well (or possibly better, depending on how much would need to be added). The great thing about it is that next time you make apricot wine, you can top it off - if necessary - with...apricot wine! :rockin:

My dad never uses campden tablets (except for this last batch of apple wine that he made, I think) on the grounds that his dad never used them, so I am sure that, with care, all should be well. On the other hand, he ruined a beautiful batch of plum wine by letting it get oxidized, so...it's a judgment call. If there are any alternatives, I'd also be willing to hear them, so I could pass them along to my dad.

I'm kind of eager to give this apricot thing a try, now - but I have Flathead Cherry and Crabapple projects in front of that one - and probably another batch of chokecherry, as well. I only have 1 primary bucket for wine (2-gallon) - might have to get a second bucket!

Remember that ANY wine, even without added campden, contains sulfite. It's a natural product of fermentation. If he's truly allergic to sulfites, he should never eat things like raisins (which have far more sulfites than wine), beer, cheese, powdered sugar, sauerkraut, etc.

I hear you! That's why I said he "believes". But he does react to *something* in commercial wines, but not the cider and apfelwein I made him... and it is his fruit! So I'm going to humour him. :)

Oxygen is the death of wine, so I would definitely always top up (always, always), and rack very cautiously or push the wine via co2 transfers if possible.

I'm totally going to close the remaining headspace. There's almost no debris, so I don't think more racking is required. Fingers crossed!

I'll see what I have. I have a couple of books, but to be honest, I mostly rely on the advice of the folks here -they're great!

Me too! Alcohol definitely makes some people nicer.

My dad never uses campden tablets (except for this last batch of apple wine that he made, I think) on the grounds that his dad never used them, so I am sure that, with care, all should be well. On the other hand, he ruined a beautiful batch of plum wine by letting it get oxidized, so...it's a judgment call. If there are any alternatives, I'd also be willing to hear them, so I could pass them along to my dad.

Again, ditto. People, this is your time to shine.

Update: SG is currently 0.996-0.998, so I guess I still have a bit to go. On that topic, I've always assumed that nothing can ferment lower than 0.990, as my hydro doesn't go any lower. Please tell me I'm right about that. But if I'm wrong, please tell me that too, or I might have plum wine bottle bombs.

edit: I'm tasting the sample - it's delicious!! I reckon it's at about 12.5% and it tastes it, with a pronounced smooth apricot flavour, and even that aftertaste you get drinking apricot juice. I'm currently moving it to a smaller carboy, glad I didn't top up with water, even if I lose some.

Update: SG is currently 0.996-0.998, so I guess I still have a bit to go. On that topic, I've always assumed that nothing can ferment lower than 0.990, as my hydro doesn't go any lower. Please tell me I'm right about that. But if I'm wrong, please tell me that too, or I might have plum wine bottle bombs.

edit: I'm tasting the sample - it's delicious!! I reckon it's at about 12.5% and it tastes it, with a pronounced smooth apricot flavour, and even that aftertaste you get drinking apricot juice. I'm currently moving it to a smaller carboy, glad I didn't top up with water, even if I lose some.

Water/mead/cider can't go lower than .990 so you can stop worrying! Alcohol is lighter than water (less dense) so things like hard liquor can go lower, like .984 or something like that. But not wine- it isn't that high in ethanol.

Don't "lose" any when moving it. Rack it to wine bottles, beer bottles, etc. Get a few smaller stoppers for those. That, or drink it!

Water/mead/cider can't go lower than .990 so you can stop worrying! Alcohol is lighter than water (less dense) so things like hard liquor can go lower, like .984 or something like that. But not wine- it isn't that high in ethanol.

Good to know (I figured since the hydro can't measure any lower that this would make sense, but still worried). Thanks!

Don't "lose" any when moving it. Rack it to wine bottles, beer bottles, etc. Get a few smaller stoppers for those. That, or drink it!

I've actually seen those skinny stoppers and have them on my list, now that I can see the point. Ended up mixing my leftover apricot with leftover concord, filled my smallest vessel with a bit left over for tasting. So now it's an experiment.

the wine sounds great!

as far as your dad and sulfates go. I get headaches from certain wines, and some beers. Hornsby's draft cider it's almost instant. (and for beer, so far, only one, Revolution anti-hero and I live in Chicago, go figure). maybe it's phosphates and not sulfates. I have not given it much thought, just don't drink them)

@buMbLeB - hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Here's the recipe that I found:

Apricot Wine

From Massaccesi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook

2.5 pounds of apricots (stones removed)
7 pints water
2 lb. sugar
1-1/4 tsp. acid blend
1 tsp. pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
1/2 teaspoon yeast energizer
1 crushed Campden tablet
Wine yeast (Montrachet, I am guessing)

Starting SG: 1.085-90

Recipe from E.C. Kraus is similar; they recommend EC-1118.

Hope this helps -

Ron

@TasunkaWitko - thanks! I'm all done for this year (but for the waiting), but I'll file this for next year's batch - it looks similar to what I did minus the additives.

ps Didn't know you could "@" someone to ping their mentions, I'm obliged.

the wine sounds great!

as far as your dad and sulfates go. I get headaches from certain wines, and some beers. Hornsby's draft cider it's almost instant. (and for beer, so far, only one, Revolution anti-hero and I live in Chicago, go figure). maybe it's phosphates and not sulfates. I have not given it much thought, just don't drink them)

I think it's going to be (fingers Xed) great! I'm with you on the sulfates, I don't really know what's up, but like you I don't really care too much. I'm happy I can make him stuff he likes, after all it's his fruit.

I think it's going to be (fingers Xed) great! I'm with you on the sulfates, I don't really know what's up, but like you I don't really care too much. I'm happy I can make him stuff he likes, after all it's his fruit.

Sulfite, not sulfate! Totally different substances.

Sulfate is used to enhance the flavor of hops, and used as a water additive especially in beer. (CaSO4, calcium sulfate or gypsum).

Sulfite is what we are talking about with wine, and as a byproduct of ALL fermentation. (S02, sulfur dioxide).

Back