How long can beer sit in the secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geosomin

Reaction score
Hey there. Haven't made up IPA in a few years and wanted your opinion about this:
I was going to start up the beer this weekend and then rack it into a primary the following weekend. Would it be fine to sit in a carbuoy for a few weeks after that before bottling? I'll be away for a few weeks and don't want to leave it in the carbuoy for too long, but if it would be OK to be in there for around 2-3 seeks I can bottle it when I get back. If it were an issue, then I will wait to start it until I'm back...I know it's not a big deal with wine, but I can't remember if it is OK for beer to sit in the carbuoy for 2-3 weeks before bottling.
Any suggestions?

yeah as far as i understand, just dont leave a ton of head space above it depending on the size of the batch or it could oxidize, my barleywine is going to sit for months without issue so its fine for 2-3 or almost any beer

So a week in the primary and 2-3 weeks in the 2ndary. Just make sure the beer is fermented before transferring and I am sure it will be fine. Check the gravity reading the last 3 days before, and if.they are the same, then transfer. Maybe someone.could.answer.if leaving in.the primary all that time is fine?

I would just leave it in the primary,i only rack over if im adding something(dry hop,fruit,etc)i usually leave it alone for 4- 5 weeks depending on the beer,and imho my beer has gotten better since I quit messing with it so much

It is a personal preference, but I don't like leaving my beer on yeast for too long. I usually rack after 2 to 3 weeks, and then most beers stay in secondary for a couple of months.

Exceptions are: Sours and Bretts which take much longer, and hoppy beers that I want to drink ASAP.

The purpose of a secondary is to bulk condition/age beer. So the answer to your question is, "as long as you want it too."

If you're making an Ipa, and you are aging your beer for whatever reason, just dry hop a week before you are planning to keg or bottle the beer.

I left an ale in secondary for four months. Got TDY orders and when I came back I bottled and it was great. No worries on a long secondary.

Back