How Long are Hops good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gderem

Reaction score
I recently started brewing again after being off for 3 years. I had kept several dry packets of yeast and several packs of hops in the bottom of the fridge drawer.

So my question is are these hops still good? They are pellet hops in the vacuum sealed bags, never opened. What do you think? I've got a packet of Liberty, packet of Saaz, 2 oz packet of Chinook, and 2 oz packet of Hallertauer. Would hate to have to toss them.

As for the yeast, I had several packs each of the Safale US-56 (Now Us 05) and Nottingham as well. Even though those has expiration dates in 2007 I've been using them so far with no problems. Maybe the refrigeration helped?

In the fridge they might not be great... Freezer and you'd be golden. I'd use exclusively for aroma since the AA degradation would be anybody's guess.

Good idea to use just for aroma.

Chupacabras, have you made that Rye Pale before? Sounds very interesting and very yummy.

Back