How long are ciders supposed to take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdennytoo

Reaction score
How long should a cider take in the primary? I am used to a beer taking 3 to 7 days to stop outgassing. Inspired by a prototypical grocery store cider and that apple juice + cornsugar recipe, I thought I could make a quick 5 gallons omitting the corn sugar. Like most afpelvien recipies suggest, I used Montcherat (SPELLING?) yeast at ambient 62 +-2 deg. Original grvity on plain apple juice was only 1.049! It has been 3 weeks and bubles are still comming up in my carboy. What gives? If I use an ale yeast will it go faster? I want to crash in the fridge and force carbonate when done. No sulfites. Just easy. Mostly I want to know what you all have experienced before. Thanks and cheers!

May just be a slow fermentation? Normal is 5days to a few weeks I think (not sure on that though). I think a guy once told me his cider took a month in primary...

Next time if you want to ensure a nice quick fermentation use the Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast.... The Abrams Tank of yeasts! I think I saw that yeast ferment hot lava once :mug:

I have a gallon of apple/pomegranate mixed juice in my jug, used red star champagne yeast. No added sugar, OG was 1.049ish just like yours. I've always heard that champagne yeast ferments super fast, but I'm 4 weeks into it and I'm still seeing bubbles rise to the top. The cider is clearing up nice too. Temperature has been very similar to yours as well. Maybe it's the cooler temp. that's slowing it down?

xjbobbin82 said:
I have a gallon of apple/pomegranate mixed juice in my jug, used red star champagne yeast. No added sugar, OG was 1.049ish just like yours. I've always heard that champagne yeast ferments super fast, but I'm 4 weeks into it and I'm still seeing bubbles rise to the top. The cider is clearing up nice too. Temperature has been very similar to yours as well. Maybe it's the cooler temp. that's slowing it down?

Red star champagne yeast says 59° to 86°... But I think the low 60's area will give a slow fermentation... I go around 64° to 68° a that stuff goes crazy.
I don't think you will have a problem with acidity but you may wanna stick a pH strip in a sample. I don't know much about pomegranate juice but my Blackcherry gave me a stuck fermentation...

Ale yeasts won't help much either. I only use notty or S-04 and in order to get down to my FG target it usually takes about a month. (1.002)

I do rack from primary about 7-10 days in (around 1.020) and then let it sit until it drops to target. (usually 3+ weeks at 60-62ºF)

Cider is easy to ferment in the fact that all you do is dump yeast on juice, but it takes a lot more patience to wait it out than beer.

Slow and low is the only way to go.

BadgerBrigade said:
Red star champagne yeast says 59° to 86°... But I think the low 60's area will give a slow fermentation... I go around 64° to 68° a that stuff goes crazy.
I don't think you will have a problem with acidity but you may wanna stick a pH strip in a sample. I don't know much about pomegranate juice but my Blackcherry gave me a stuck fermentation...

Listen to LeB, he knows what up! I would like to formally retract my 64° to 68° temperature... Lol
:mug:

Back