How important is temp control when bulk aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I don’t have great temp control, I’m using a tub and ice bath to keep my fermentations colder than room temperature. Once fermentation is completed and I rack it into a glass carboy for secondary/bulk aging, how important is temp control? Is it a problem to leave it at room temp when my Florida room temp is 75-78 degrees?

It can continue to age in the bottles or keg, as far as fruit, it will continue to ferment the sugars in the fruit.

It might be better to wait until later on in the season, when the weather is a bit cooler, and fruit another batch.

If fermentation is complete or very nearly. Temp control is less important to bulk age. (The cooler the better but 75deg F really wont hurt anything) Rack off the lees and add your fruit. A secondary fermentation may start. Pull the fruit when it hits your flavor profile you like, rack a time or two and let it age. It can bulk age or bottle age. Either works. (Yes, often does get significantly better after a few months.)

If fermentation is complete or very nearly. Temp control is less important to bulk age. (The cooler the better but 75deg F really wont hurt anything) Rack off the lees and add your fruit. A secondary fermentation may start. Pull the fruit when it hits your flavor profile you like, rack a time or two and let it age. It can bulk age or bottle age. Either works. (Yes, often does get significantly better after a few months.)
This is what I was thinking. My current new cider I want to try is Brazilian roasted pineapple cider. I’ve heard fermented pineapple is rough so I will prob make the cider, let it sit for a month or two, then stsbilize and rack onto the pineapple so I can get the flavor without the secondary fermentation.

Back