How fragile is my blanket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
I understand that during primary there is a nice blanket of CO2 hovering over my beer, protecting it from oxidation. I'm curious how much that blanket will hold up with me removing the lid, taking hydro samples, dry hopping, etc.

I'm currently 2.5 weeks into primary with my second batch using my kettle as my one and only fermenter. So I have leaf hops, cold break, yeast sludge and all right there in the kettle with a lid on it. I was thinking about dry hopping and thought I might as well just drop in another ounce right in with the rest of the gang. Then I started wondering about the blanket of CO2.

Is it getting smaller and smaller every time I open the lid? And if I just drop leaf hops in, is it going to further disturb/lose that layer of protection?

My other option I'm looking at for dry hopping is to use a mesh ball once it's in the keg, it just seems it'd be way easier to just drop them in now. I just don't want to end up with oxidation problems because I went the easy way out.

Any thought's other than RDWHAHB? (I'm already doing my best at that part ;) )

There is some CO2 in absorbed into the beer, not just on top of the beer. If you open the vessel carefully and try not to cause too much of an air current around the open bucket, then your CO2 layer should remain relatively undisturbed. Of course you'll lose a little every time you open it, but the CO2 in the beer will reach equilibrium with the headspace once you reseal the lid and any oxygen that slipped in will likely get pushed out. CO2 is heavier than O2 afterall :)

to get real gas exchange, you need to be disturbing the surface of the beer.

so you could remove the lid 100 times and never get any oxidation. but if you remove it just once and splash the beer violently, I can see wet cardboard in your future.

oxidation is a risk, but honestly I think too many newer brewers worry about it more than they should. if you're not splashing after fermentation starts, including at racking/bottling, you really shouldn't have to fear oxidation.

I just dumped em straight in. Thanks for the reassurance guys. I just dry hopped for the first time.:ban:

Well, I couldn't resist and peeked in this morning to ensure that the hops I dumped had sunk in. Most of it was still dry sitting on the top of the beer. I suppose had I used pellets they might have jumped right in, but that's not the case with leaf. :(

I really don't want to stir them in, so I'll probably just leave it be for another week and hope they settle in and provide some aroma. For future brews, I wonder what I should do different. I guess had I used the mesh ball it would have dropped to the bottom. Anybody else run in to this?

Well, I couldn't resist and peeked in this morning to ensure that the hops I dumped had sunk in. Most of it was still dry sitting on the top of the beer. I suppose had I used pellets they might have jumped right in, but that's not the case with leaf. :(

Not always the case with pellets either. Is why many use a weighted sack of herb ball to sink them in.

I used to peek and look too and have never had an off taste or problem and have probably dry hopped 100+ gallons of beer since I started. I have the mesh balls and have used them. I have used muslin bags. I have used NEW panty hose (avoid fishy flavors). I find the they all work the same. It will take up to a week to hit full flavor. I generally leave them in the kegs until empty. This has taken up to a 4 months. I have never had a grassy flavor and only gotten compliments. It really is hard to screw up and the benefit to your beer is wonderful if you like a nose full of hops.

Latest posts

Back