How far should a Sodastream cannister go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yolag

Reaction score
Hey all, a long story short recently my father got me a "starter" kegging kit from a local homebrew store which was very kind. This wasn't my usual store however and immediately one of the things I noticed is my dad got incredibly oversold on several things for a first kit, not a bad thing for the long run but I felt bad for how much he spent.

The guy he spoke with told him I would only need a soda stream canister (and the sold extra adapter) for a 19L / 5 Gallon Corny Keg but it could in theory do 2 kegs at a time. I hooked up the kit and one thing that stood out was the soda stream adapter sits out quite far on the thread but I did a CO2 leak check and nothing happened so I went forward. Everything seemed like it was going well. 3 Days later the keg was carbonating and all the pressure levels seemed normal but I woke up on the fourth day and I had gone from 40L in the soda stream to 0.

I'd written the shop to ask possible causes for why this would happen and now the shop claims a soda stream cannister really only has enough "juice" to either carbonate a 19L/ 5gal and MAYBE have enough to pour a few glasses after. Does this sound accurate?

I did a bit of research and there seemed to be a few people who used the soda stream just fine for smaller set ups and a CO2 tank was really better for a once a year refill kind of thing. I'm just trying to figure out if the store's having me on or if I should genuinely think about getting a proper tank.

I don't have any hard data to compare to yours, but I have the feeling my sodastream co2 cannister last much longer. I have several kegs but only one 18 liter/5 gallon keg though. I have always spare cannisters at hand if one should run out of co2.

Latest posts

Back