How Druck do you get when Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How druck do you get when brewing?

• Not druck at all, this is serious business!

• It is bad luck to not have a homebrew while brewing, so I have at least one.

• I usually have a few, and end up feeling pretty good by the end of the night.

• I have one too many, f@(K it is hard to clean up!

• Whoah, I made beer last night?

Results are only viewable after voting.

kenche

Reaction score
I just finished up a batch of Irish Stout, and swmbo is on her way home from her 'high school girlfriends only' Christmas party.

After getting off the phone with her, I realised that I am a bit druck!

Nothing wrong w/ being druck as long as you, hick, ain't drivin'.... hick :cross:

To your poll, I like having several beers over the course of 4-6 hours. Never so much that I would f'up a batch, but enough to feel good afterwards.

Personally, I don't like getting hammered on homebrew. (Good and Buzzed is different.) It seems to be a waste good brew. I usually drink to the point where I fall asleep waiting for SWMBO to come home. Not passing out, just too tired to stay awake in front of the TV. (I usually brew when she's out of the house - the smell thing bothers her.)

I also hate, I mean really HATE, giving homebrew to drunk bastards. I usually keep SA's in the brew fridge for this once in awhile occasion. I could say the same in regards to talking about it w/ them unless I'm ripped myself.

:mug:

I always have a couple over the course of a brew day, but I never get drunk. The idea of not having my complete balance while carrying around large kettles of boiling or near-boiling liquid doesn't appeal to me.

This is serious business here! I don't have one until the boil is underway. Of course, I usually brew starting about 7:00 AM so I'm still waking up and drinking coffee. When I'm running the chiller, though, it's pretty close to noon so it's time for a brew. Then when it's in the fermenter, it's time for a brew. Of course, then when the fermentation gets going, a celebratory brew is in order. I never get druck though.

joconn said:
Got to ask, (not being sarcastic, mind you) but is "druck" a new pc term for drunk?

Haha- no, I think someone (was it John Beere?) posted while drinking and misspelled drunk that way, and it really just stuck.

Not that it's serious business but I usually just have a couple Miller Lites (oh the horror!!!1!!) through out the brew day.

I don't really like to deal with the distraction of a buzz while hitting temps, measurements, open flame sources and transferring hot liquids.

No brews till flameout for me. Mainly a safety concern plus I don't want to screw up my beer. It's kinda like BBQ. I don't drink too much till my egg is on autopilot.

I usually have a couple while brewing, but I RARELY approach anything even close to what I'd consider drunk.

In California, brew day was always a party. Homebrew, BBQ, Kettle Sea salt & Vinegar chips, hot Italian sausages, etc.

Now, I'll run the taps with a sampler glass while brewing and kick back with a pint afterwards.

david_42 said:
Now, I'll run the taps with a sampler glass while brewing and kick back with a pint afterwards.

Good idea! - I do the same at my HB club meetings. Its too easy to get soused. I usually have Clausthauler Amber in between beers too. I have a 40 mile drive home afterwards.

I tend to brew very early in the morning so I don't drink during sessions. I wouldn't be apposed to one or two during a session but if I had more than that I'm afraid I would screw something up.

Most of my brewing is in the morning and I end up mixing it with other projects around the house. No time for drinking while brewing. Now it is a different story if I do an evening brew. I will ususally have one or two at that time. :)

Craig

I used to drink a lot more before my brew-buddy moved away. I always crack at least one homebrew, just after I add the bittering hops. I like to drink just enough beer to make standing around watching the fly sparge and boil entertaining.

I like to have a few while I brew. When I got my 2 buddies in Charlotte to start brewing, they used to get hammed while brewing and then had no idea what the hell they had done, but somehow always made good beer. The first time I brewed with them, we were all sharing our creations and before I knew it, I was hammed as well. We almost forgot a couple of important steps, which helped reinforce the fact that you must maintain a certain level of sobriety when brewing.

I usually have a group of friends over who enjoy the smell of brewing as much as me and are willing to lend a helping hand in exchange for some brews. So we drink...sometimes a lot, sometimes barely. Just depends on what time. My midnight brew was pretty messy.

I only got truly hammered once when making beer (started drinking IIPAs at 11:30am) and the beer turned out okay. I, on the other hand, ended up passed out on my bathroom floor mumbling about not being 22 anymore (it was a month before the big 3-0). Now I try to limit it to a homebrew or two during brew day.

Morning brewing, I'll wait towards the end of the process...towards mid-day...

Afternoon brewing, I'll have a few but never to the point I'm druck...

I brew at night, after my 4 year old goes to bed. I always start with a 12 oz sample one week old beer. After I get the flame on, I pour a big mug of properly aged beer. Last night I boiled for 90 minutes making and Elephant clone and I had two 22's.

With extract brews, where the process didn't really take that long, I tended to drink homebrews throughout the brew session. Usually I would finish about 4 of them and would feel pretty darn good by the time I was finished.

Now I am doing AG and I tend to do them during the middle of the day-- start late morning to early afternoon and finish in mid to late afternoon. I tend to drink a couple of three during the boil, but I try not to get too "relaxed" when I know I have to deal with a large kettle of hot sugar water.

I limit it to a bottle or two if I'm doing an afternoon or evening brew, but most of the time I'm brewing in the morning or early afternoon and often have somewhere I need to be after I finish, so no drinking then.

This is not ego or hot shot kind of thinking ok. I can't seem to get drunk on beer. No really. I get full and can't drink any more long before getting drunk. I can get buzzed well. But in order to get drunk I need something else.. like Southern Comfort... vodka... I dont know... something a bit more. I can get drunk on wine.....:D

had to choose the first choice as well but it don't mean I don't have a few while brewing. I don't get hammered though. I to normally start very early in th morning and it is rare to pop one before noon. I do take the brew process very seriously and am almost on the anal side to obtain perfection. I guess i need to loosen up, have a few and relax. :mug:

I'm still new enough at AG that I'd screw something up if I was hammered. I usually wait until the boil is well underway before I have one.

There's too much going on for me to drink before the boils rolling. I usually have 1-2 throughout the whole process. I don't wanna screw up any batches just because I can't wait to have a beer. I've been brewing in the morning lately though, so its usually coffee the whole time...

I always have 2-3 from dough-in to flame out, but 2-3 over 2 hours isn't enough for me to feel the effects of alcohol.

It's a whole different story if I'm brewing with friends though. I figure between the 3 of us we make 1 sober brewer, so that's good enough. :drunk:

I celebrate every milestone with a fresh beer. i.e. the wort is boiling, drink a beer! i've added the first hops, drink a beer! ive addd the second hops, drink a beer!.... well you get the idea. ;)

Usually I don't drink till the end because really I don't like lifting heavy things and juggling kegles while cleaning in a "relaxed" state of mind and body. It also helps to be more organized.

I like to drink one while I'm brewing, but I do my fermenting down in the basement, and something about those steep stairs and a full carboy (better bottle) of unfermented beer keeps me from drinking more than one.

Interesting responses so far. I tend to fall into the 'I usually have a few, and end up feeling pretty good by the end of the night' category, but have had sessions that fit into all but the 'whoa, I made beer last night' category.

I have to imagine that some interesting, but not replicable beers have been made in that state though.

TheJadedDog said:
I only got truly hammered once when making beer (started drinking IIPAs at 11:30am) and the beer turned out okay. I, on the other hand, ended up passed out on my bathroom floor mumbling about not being 22 anymore

:rockin: we're not worth we're not worthy!:tank:

Getting all the wort into the boiler and firing up both elements is normally my time to crack open a homebrew. Given my usual brewday this tends to be about 1pm which is quite early enough :)

I chose #1. Not that I don't sample a bit to wet the whistle...but I definitely lean towards "little to no buzz" whilst brewing.

A sample...then a couple diet sodas and some triscuits...then another sample maybe an hour later...

Sample1.jpg

Oooh, pretty BierMuncher. I just drooled on my desk.
I guess I usually have 1 beer during setup, usually too busy at mash in, then 1 or 2 during boil. If I'm up to it, another during cooling. I just have to keep in mind I have to pick up and shake a fermenter at end of it all, but I'm a big dude. Need an aerator, then maybe I can drink more.

Latest posts

Back