how does yeast cake taste??? is my stout infected??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
so im setting up to bottle right now and I took a sample of the beer to get a gravity reading. The sample I got is really merky so im assuming it has a lot of the trub/yeast in it. When i tasted it, it was sour. so i was worried about it and thought that maybe its infected. I haven't had an infected beer before, but I took off the lid on my bucket to see if there are any nasties on the top and I didn't see any pellicles or whatever. Looked normal to me. could it be the trub/yeast that im tasting??? or is my beer jacked??? the last time I took a gravity reading two weeks ago it tasted fine and I made sure to star san the valve before and after taking a sample. what gives??

thanks

If you got a lot of trub in the sample, you should expect it to taste weird. Reminds me of a homebrewer who asked if the beer was infected if the krauesen tasted bad. I wondered why the brewer was even tasting the krauesen.

I'm still waiting for "I placed the blowoff tube in my mouth at high krausen and it tasted awful! Is my beer ruined?"

here's to hoping the sarcastic responses will prove to be right. I'll taste a portion thats not trubbed out when I start the bottling process.

Sorry man - I was just having some fun. I don't mean to be unhelpful. It sounds like the sample you tasted was full of trub and yeast, which I would expect to taste bad. It is almost certainly not infected based on your description.

Do you have a wine thief or turkey baster you could take a sample with without the chance of pulling beer off the bottom of the fermenter? If you can get a sample from a few inches under the surface, you'll know it isn't full of crud.

I hope bottling goes well.
:mug:

woot woot!!! its not infected. I just tasted a sample that's not murky. It has a chocolate taste with some roast malt and in the finish I can taste a lot of caramel, like the fudge kind.

Well on that note, I wonder if you can just deep fry the yeast cake and eat it? I heard you can deep fry anything.....good to hear about your beer doing well.

Latest posts

Back