How does this happen? Couple AG issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I made my fourth batch tonight with the aide of beersmith. I was shooting for 5.5 batch size and 7.25 pre boil with an OG of 1.060. So after collecting first runnings and sparging with 8.5 Gal per Beersmith I ended up with about 7.25 gal, I use a 10 GAL cooler with false bottom only no dip tube I just tip the cooler when the runnings look to be getting low and its worked in collecting all wort, I'm really losing maybe .25gal if that to deadspace so really nothing at all. Preboil is right one point low but the numbers were figured with a 7Gal preboil not 7.25 so I'm fine figure I'm where I need to be. So I boil 7.25 Gal down to just under 6 in a 60 min boil which I figure is great, figure lose .5 Gal to gunk even though I use a hop spider and I should have the 5.5 I need. Did a hop blast and stand for 30 min at 166 temp dropped faster than I thought it would. Anyway Chill to 65deg perfect, go to siphon off into fermenter and I collect only 5.25 gal and thats with hop gunk getting into the bucket. After checked the OG and it's 1.058 2 points low and I dumped the rest of the wort in the BK into my bottling bucket to see how much was left, almost 1 Gal!!! Is that normal to leave that or do you guys dump that into the fermenter also, has I done that I wouldve got my 5.5 batch volume still 2 points low dont know how that happened when my OG was right on. Any help would be great sorry for the long post.

First OG is gravity of wort boing into the fermenter.

Second you ended up with 6.25 gal at the end of your boil. Didn't evaporate enough and so your gravity suffered at expense of giving you more beer.

Third - yep hoppy beers tend to lose more in the transfer. Some dump it all in. I try to filter hops.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

use the boil off tool in beersmith to make adjustments to your equipment profile.

if i read everything correctly it would go like this:

shrinkage rate= 0 since you already cooled it.

starting volume : 6.25
starting gravity:1.058

add 16 min boil time to get to your target post boil gravity of 1.60. That will give you a volume boiled off of .17 gal, add that to the boil off in your equipment profile.

Of course ymmv on boil off rates depending on humidity ect ect.

As long as I am between 5 and 5.5 I don't worry too much about volume if I have to add some trub wort to hit my minimum volume I'm ok with that.

There is an thread someplace, probably more than one on whether to dump trub into the fermenter. It does not seem to hurt anything although on thread where they experimented there was a difference in flavor but half the tasters liked the beer that had trub in the fermenter and half without.

Other factors to consider:
Are you going to harvest yeast? If you are, then it is easier to rinse it if you do not have the gunk in your fermenter. Although it can certainly still be done.
How long are you going to leave it in primary? More chance of trub causing flavors the longer the beer will be on it.
Just the aesthetics, I like the look in my carboy better with a thin, closer to white, settlement on the bottom rather than a thick brown layer.

You will get a little more final product by dumping it all in as the trub will compact at the bottom and let you siphon more good beer off.

I personally just up my recipe to account for the additional loss and I leave as much hop trub and break material as I can in the kettle even if that means leaving 3/4 gallon of wort. I can live with the lower brew house efficiency.

I have a system that is a little more work up front, but I lose almost no wort by the end. I chill my BK after using Irish Moss, and slowly pour it through 4 layers of paint strainers into my fermenter. A little "silt" gets through, but after cold crashing the fermenter, I doubt I lose more than one cup in total. Much less than I used to lose before

For hoppy beers I plan on losing about a gallon to hop sludge. Sound like you were right on, 2 points won't make a difference at all.

Thanks for replies. Next time I'm gonna boil a little harder to get down to 6 gal then rack into fermenter and whatever is left in the BK I'm gonna try using a paint strainer and dumping the rest through that to get my final volume. There was atleast. 5 gal of good wort left mixes in with the grub, didn't think about using the paint strainer until the next day.

Back