How does Maltodextrine effect the OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
My efficiency is pretty precise for most of my brews - 80% is usually right on if I don't do something wierd.

I brewed a Porter (6g) and added 10oz maltodextrine. Per my efficiency with just the grains, I should have ended up with 1.063. I ended up with 1.066, or 84% efficiency.

Does that sound right when I added the unfermentables?

Dave

Maltodextrin has a potential of about 40 points per pound per gallon (ppg). You added 10/16 pounds * 40 ppg, for a total of 25 points.

If you have 6 gallons of 1.063 wort, that is 63 * 6 = 378 points.

(378 + 25) / 6 = 67.1 or an expected OG of 1.067

I am not sure how you are getting the 84%. You do need to count the maltodextrin as well.

Maltodextrin has a potential of about 40 points per pound per gallon (ppg). You added 10/16 pounds * 40 ppg, for a total of 25 points.

If you have 6 gallons of 1.063 wort, that is 63 * 6 = 378 points.

(378 + 25) / 6 = 67.1 or an expected OG of 1.067

I am not sure how you are getting the 84%. You do need to count the maltodextrin as well.

Thanks! That explains it. I am using Beer Recipator http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator and it doesn't take that into account. I have to admit, I didn't look too hard to determine the effect of the maltodextrine.

Dave

Back