How does BMC brew beer that has no flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
I cannot tolerate BMC beer nor would i ever attempt to brew this style but i would like to know how they remove flavor from the beer? it pretty much tastes like beer flavored seltzer..how do they do that?

Use small amount of hops, and corn and rice to get gravity, and ferment dry.

Not sure what else your looking for, they are low gravity, dry, low IBU, and clean lagers.

You can do they same, but you will probably find out how good of a brewer and control you need to brew a BMC, and maybe get a little respect for the product. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its crap.

Not sure what else your looking for, they are low gravity, dry, low IBU, and clean lagers.

You can do they same, but you will probably find out how good of a brewer and control you need to brew a BMC, and maybe get a little respect for the product. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its crap.

im sure its super hard to make and i do have respect for all brewers..was just a question..btw i aint looking for nothing i would not attempt or even have the skill to brew a beer like that

I love big hoppy beers, Stouts, Porters and Belgian, and rarely drink BMCs.

However, I don't think you can beat an ice cold BMC when it's really hot and you need something refreshing. Everything has its place.

I wouldn't say it is great beer, but I do respect how difficult it is to produce the product. I could never do it.

I met some German students who were getting their PhD's in brewing science from some university in Germany. They had nothing but respect for Anheiser-Busch breweries.

I couldn't believe it at the time (before I started brewing myself)... But their rational was that it takes a tremendous amount of control of the process to make a beer that flavorless so consistently from so many different separate breweries and have them all taste identical.

YOU try to hide your off flavors behind 2row, rice and corn with almost no hops :)

It's not that AB couldn't make a flavorful brew..lnstead, they're dedicated to making the same brew over and over as identiclally possible in breweries all over the world so that it tastes the same no matter where you buy it.

I couldn't do that.

But I can make a beer that tastes better than Bud. Just not the same beer every time.

Different priorities.

I love big hoppy beers, Stouts, Porters and Belgian, and rarely drink BMCs.

However, I don't think you can beat an ice cold BMC when it's really hot and you need something refreshing. Everything has its place.

I wouldn't say it is great beer, but I do respect how difficult it is to produce the product. I could never do it.

Exactly. Say what you want about their product, but BMC's quality control is second to none. Even the way they have their distributors control storage temp, clean serving lines at bars, etc....

After having full flavor beer made by craft breweries I have a hard time drinking bmc beers now. They just lack over all flavor.

I met some German students who were getting their PhD's in brewing science from some university in Germany. They had nothing but respect for Anheiser-Busch breweries.

I couldn't believe it at the time (before I started brewing myself)... But their rational was that it takes a tremendous amount of control of the process to make a beer that flavorless so consistently from so many different separate breweries and have them all taste identical.

They were probably practicing for their interviews. I'm guessing some of them will be working for InBev eventually. :D

So has anyone noticed variability in the craft beers you drink? I think I have but I could be mistaken because I've never seen it in a side-by-side comparison. It's always been a "this one seems different than the one I had last week" kinda thing. I've noticed it most with SNPA. Could be attributable to factors outside the control of the brewery, too.

So has anyone noticed variability in the craft beers you drink? I think I have but I could be mistaken because I've never seen it in a side-by-side comparison. It's always been a "this one seems different than the one I had last week" kinda thing. I've noticed it most with SNPA. Could be attributable to factors outside the control of the brewery, too.

I notice it, especially with IPA's as the hops fades quickly and small Brewers often can't effectively make sure kegs and bottles are rotated or sold easy at stores and bars. BMC distributors rotate stock at the liquor stores, grocers and bars and make sure draft lines are clean, etc...

Why does everyone have to come in now and compliment BMC on their consistency? We get it you're not a hipster beer snob. But just because it's not easy to make at home doesn't make it good. Monumental effort in the pursuit of bland mediocrity does not make a good product. No one says they don't know how to brew.

And you're so impressed with their consistency? When you have so little flavor in a beer that's served ice cold, although quality control is more difficult at that large of a scale, it's also much easier than if they were making a more flavorful beer. In the case of budweiser what's most important is controlling fermentation, which is really not all that difficult and not outside the grasp of advanced homebrewers. If you have your process dialed in you can probably make a budweiser clone with similar consistency at home. When your beer stands on the quality and flavor of ingredients, well then it's much more challenging to achieve consistency. It's hard to make good beer with consistent flavor. It's not hard to make flavorless swill with consistent flavor. On the other hand I don't get why absolute consistency of flavor is so awesome. I don't want my new batch to taste identical to the old one. It'll be consistently good, but it won't be identical. Nor do I seek that out in commercial beer. I want to taste the flavor of the fresh batch of ingredients, it makes the beer more interesting.

If you thin the most important thing Budweiser does is control fermentation, you really don't know much about their brewing process. They have this incredible steam osmotic counterflow thingamajig (that's the technical term) that strips volitle compounds during filtering. That's way outside the scope of ANY homebrew setup; and also the vast majority of microbreweries.

BMC does what they do better than anyone else can. That's that.

If you thin the most important thing Budweiser does is control fermentation, you really don't know much about their brewing process. They have this incredible steam osmotic counterflow thingamajig (that's the technical term) that strips volitle compounds during filtering. That's way outside the scope of ANY homebrew setup; and also the vast majority of microbreweries.

Not only all of that and more, but they also make money! Brewing is a business and they have a business plan that works.

Why does everyone have to come in now and compliment BMC on their consistency? We get it you're not a hipster beer snob. But just because it's not easy to make at home doesn't make it good. Monumental effort in the pursuit of bland mediocrity does not make a good product. No one says they don't know how to brew.

And you're so impressed with their consistency? When you have so little flavor in a beer that's served ice cold, although quality control is more difficult at that large of a scale, it's also much easier than if they were making a more flavorful beer. In the case of budweiser what's most important is controlling fermentation, which is really not all that difficult and not outside the grasp of advanced homebrewers. If you have your process dialed in you can probably make a budweiser clone with similar consistency at home. When your beer stands on the quality and flavor of ingredients, well then it's much more challenging to achieve consistency. On the other hand I don't get why absolute consistency of flavor is so awesome. I don't want my new batch to taste identical to the old one. It'll be consistently good, but it won't be identical. Nor do I seek that out in commercial beer. I want to taste the flavor of the fresh batch of ingredients, it makes the beer more interesting.

Well said Orange

BMC knows how to market market the beer.And they do that the best anyone else can thats why they are what they are...but if we go to the craft beer world who focus on quality 90% will agree pliny the elder is a world class beer yet i have not seen 1 russian river commercial..why? Cause russian river is too busy creating amazing beer that they dont have time to market but people catch on..you have fine beer on one hand a corporate biz on the other..just cause you make alot of money with your product does not make it good..i mean the F'n backstreet boys is bud weiser...led zeppelin is pliny

that is exactly what it means. I don't like it, it's crap. and as for "you brew it" challenge, I have no reason to prove anything to anyone with something that I don't like and wouldn't want to produce in the first place. that challenge can lick my Stout Chode Stout.
Serve it really cold!

It has flavor, but you don't want to taste it.
Ever drink a warm Budweiser? :D

yes I have!

Last edited by a moderator:
BMC knows how to market market the beer.And they do that the best anyone else can thats why they are what they are...but if we go to the craft beer world who focus on quality 90% will agree pliny the elder is a world class beer yet i have not seen 1 russian river commercial..why? Cause russian river is too busy creating amazing beer that they dont have time to market but people catch on..you have fine beer on one hand a corporate biz on the other..just cause you make alot of money with your product does not make it good..i mean the F'n backstreet boys is bud weiser...led zeppelin is pliny

Wait, Russian River doesn't advertise because they're too busy? :confused:

And, I know lots of craft beer drinkers that much prefer a well made light american lager or CAP to an IPA/IIPA.

And, I know lots of craft beer drinkers that much prefer a well made light american lager or CAP to an IPA/IIPA.

I don't know do they advertise? i never saw a russian river commercial at haltime on superbowl

I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm gonna because I'm an a-hole. we call those people liars. bwahahahhahaa!!!

that is exactly what it means. I don't like it, it's crap.

Hmm, all hail Billy-Klubb, he's far more superior than the tens of millions of people who purchase BMC a day.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm gonna because I'm an a-hole.

Ill agree with that, but that's about it.

There are plenty of things I don't like. I dislike way more craft beers than I do BMCs, but don't dis them on their efforts and hard work, what one may hate one may love. Don't be a snob, we are all doing what we love.

This is getting nowhere, there was never really a honest question, I can see that now. The OP just wanted to start a bandwagon BMC hate thread.

Hmm, all hail Billy-Klubb, he's far more superior than the tens of millions of people who purchase BMC a day.

There are plenty of things I don't like. I dislike way more craft beers than I do BMCs, but don't dis them on their efforts and hard work, what one may hate one may love. Don't be a snob, we are all doing what we love.

This is getting nowhere, there was never really a honest question, I can see that now. The OP just wanted to start a bandwagon BMC hate thread.
personal taste is a helluva thing, son. my personal taste says it's crap. every time someone starts a "BMC hate thread", a bunch of others pop up defending BMCs with the same old tired crap about how difficult it is to make such a tasteless beer without any flaws and to do it form different locations all the time is such an amazing feat and how the rest of us that don't like it should try to brew the style. I'm not defending the BMC haters, I'm defending my personal taste. I'm a snob because I don't like that tasteless watery crap? fine, I'm a floccin' snob. but personal taste is just that: personal taste. how bland would the world be if we all had the same taste?

personal taste is a helluva thing, son. my personal taste says it's crap. every time someone starts a "BMC hate thread", a bunch of others pop up defending BMCs with the same old tired crap about how difficult it is to make such a tasteless beer without any flaws and to do it form different locations all the time is such an amazing feat and how the rest of us that don't like it should try to brew the style. I'm not defending the BMC haters, I'm defending my personal taste. I'm a snob because I don't like that tasteless watery crap? fine, I'm a floccin' snob. but personal taste is just that: personal taste. how bland would the world be if we all had the same taste?

Your post is dripping with irony, like the condensation coming off a can of ice cold Bud Light. ;)

The one that gets me is the beer advertised as "triple hopped", yet you still can't taste any hops.

Yeah, that is Miller, Ironically they use "Hop extract" and actual hops never come in contact with their beer. They take out the chemicals that cause skunk, so they can get away with clear bottles in High Life.

No i did not try and start a BMC hate wagon ..i asked a simple question how BMC makes a flavorless beer..people turned it into that

Well, I suppose the simple answer to "How do BMC make tasteless beer" is"

Very well... they make it very well.

You might not like it (lookin' at YOU B-K ) but they sure do a good job of crankin' it out.

Back