How does BMC brew beer that has no flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that nearly all American Adjunct lagers are made with a great amount of corn, and they make a concentrated beer (like 20% abv) and just literally water it down to whatever level they need it to be. So Bud could release an "imperial bud" at the drop of a hat if they wanted...

So there's no flavor because what you are drinking is like 1 part beer (which is mostly water anyway) to 3 or 4 parts water.

I've read that [...] they make a concentrated beer (like 20% abv) and just literally water it down to whatever level they need it to be.

I find that extremely unlikely. It is very, very hard to coax yeast to keep fermenting all the way to such extremely high ABV values, especially to do it consistently while maintaining a common flavour profile across all breweries worldwide. Heck, even DFH has a heck of a time getting their 120 min IPA to 18-20%. It takes a lot of time and attention (read: $$$). I'd be shocked if BMC went to such efforts, only to water it back down again.

You might be thinking of the spirit world (liquor, not supernatural). I do recall that some distilleries (Bacardi, in particular) distill their liquors to high concentrations (80%) in order to reduce shipping costs, then dilute the vodka/rum/whatever back down to 40% at the bottling facility.

You might be thinking of the spirit world (liquor, not supernatural).

I'm thinking that he's recalling that lawsuit (which was thrown out as being false) where they claimed BMC watered down their beer to meet the ABV% listed on the cans/bottles....

I love big hoppy beers, Stouts, Porters and Belgian, and rarely drink BMCs.

However, I don't think you can beat an ice cold BMC when it's really hot and you need something refreshing. Everything has its place.

I agree. I was at a friend's BBQ recently and all we had was Miller Lite. It was a warm day and the beer was quite refreshing. It is nice to give the palate a rest from time to time as well.

Some contract brewers, and probably BMC brewers, make higher alcohol batches and water it down. It maximizes fermentation space. The dilution is probably only around 20%. No way are they going to brew a 20% beer.

One of the problems they have to watch is that they don't get too many yeast esters. Supposedly you get 4X yeast esters in a 2X gravity wort. Temperature control for this type of brewing is critical.

Some contract brewers, and probably BMC brewers, make higher alcohol batches and water it down. It maximizes fermentation space. The dilution is probably only around 20%. No way are they going to brew a 20% beer.

Got any proof?

And where do they water it down? That takes space too.

I'm thinking that he's recalling that lawsuit (which was thrown out as being false) where they claimed BMC watered down their beer to meet the ABV% listed on the cans/bottles....

The lawsuit was that BMC watered down below the abv based on a misunderstanding of high gravity brewing, but was dismissed because in fact they water down to the abv.

High gravity brewing is a well known practice. I don't know for sure how they do it, but I imagine the beer is diluted and carbonated inline for bottling. It's not like they need space for a separate tank to mix the two like a homebrewer with a bottling bucket.

The lawsuit was that BMC watered down below the abv based on a misunderstanding of high gravity brewing, but was dismissed because in fact they water down to the abv.

High gravity brewing is a well known practice. I don't know for sure how they do it, but I imagine the beer is diluted and carbonated inline for bottling.

Not from 20% ABV to ~5% ABV....

And the NPR article on the lawsuit states that brewing a 5.5% ABV beer is "high gravity" brewing. lol

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...watery-but-it-tests-at-full-strength-lab-says

High gravity brewing is the name of the technique. Even 5.5% beer in a huge fermentor is a lot more 5% beers per batch.

By not putting the flavors in in the first place (relatively high adjunct percentage, low color pale malts, low hop levels using quality controlled hop extract with little aroma or hop flavor, fermenting dry and clean), then lagering, they can avoid many of the problems of inconsistent ingredients.

This is the much the same (albeit reversed in some sense) as Starbucks does by roasting their coffee beans so dark that all variable bean flavor is removed. Light roasted beans give different flavors and aromas depending on season/harvest year and regional variations (terroir, in wine terms). Starbucks roast dark so they burn off much of the individual bean flavors and replace them with a generic, but consistent, roast flavor.

Guinness get some similar effects by coloring/flavoring with a small percentage of very dark roast malts, although there is reportedly more variation there between different breweries.

If you brew a beer which depends more on the flavors of the ingredients - e.g. with a more flavorful base malt, and mildly kilned or low lovibond crystal malts, and with late hop flavor and aromas, then you will be more at the mercy of ingredient quality and variation.

Say what you will about their product, but you got to respect them for making it faster and cheaper than anyone else!

Say what you will about their product, but you got to respect them for making it faster and cheaper than anyone else!

Agreed. And it does have flavor....maybe not the flavor one likes, but it does have flavor.

Limburger cheese has flavor; as does saffron.

Budlight is the saffon of the beer world; Pliny is the limburger cheese. ;)

Where did you read that?

I had a class in college on beer brewing. My instructor's wife for some odd reason likes Bud light as her favorite beer. The poor guy has tried 4 different times to make a clone, but it always comes out tasting like alcoholic canned corn water since there is nothing to mask any flaws you'd make on a homebrewing scale. He said he knows a number of employees at one of the breweries and tried replicating their way and just shooting for the 4.2% and neither worked.

y'all can like what you want. hell, y'all can build a giant shrine to the BMC gods and praise them daily if you like. I don't care if they can make (IMO) a consistently crappy beer. if I'm gonna reach for a refreshing beer on a hot day, I'll reach for a Gose/Ordinary Bitter/Pale Ale.

it sounds like a lot of people trying to justify liking BMCs. why would they feel the need to justify? I'm glad no one asked! maybe something in them feels a little guilty. their dirty little secret out in the open. or maybe they just like it. to each their own, but I still think it's crap. happy birthday!

y'all can like what you want. hell, y'all can build a giant shrine to the Gose/Ordinary Bitter/Pale Ale gods and praise them daily if you like. I don't care if they can make (IMO) a consistently crappy beer. if I'm gonna reach for a refreshing beer on a hot day, I'll reach for a BMC.

it sounds like a lot of people trying to justify liking Craft Beer. why would they feel the need to justify? I'm glad no one asked! maybe something in them feels a little guilty. their dirty little secret out in the open. or maybe they just like it. to each their own, but I still think it's crap. happy birthday!

y'all can like what you want. hell, y'all can build a giant shrine to the Gose/Ordinary Bitter/Pale Ale gods and praise them daily if you like. I don't care if they can make (IMO) a consistently crappy beer. if I'm gonna reach for a refreshing beer on a hot day, I'll reach for a BMC.

it sounds like a lot of people trying to justify liking Craft Beer. why would they feel the need to justify? I'm glad no one asked! maybe something in them feels a little guilty. their dirty little secret out in the open. or maybe they just like it. to each their own, but I still think it's crap. happy birthday!

hey mom, you're starting to sound like me. only different.

What I find funny is how so many homebrewers love the variety that comes with homebrewing. Never do you find people who drink such a variety of different styles of beer as you do with homebrewers. However, as soon as BMC is mentioned, there is fervor of hatred that pops up. That same fervor never seems to pop up when stout is mentioned, or hell even blonde ale.

When somebody says they don't like BMC, that's just their personal taste. However, when someone feels the need to announce that BMC is crap and launch into a long diatribe over the mere mention of BMC, it's silly and snobby.

As for me? I love most all styles of beer, to include American pilsners. And BMC makes a good American pilsner. They don't make up much of beer diet, but they have their place.

WoW..started as a brewing technique question to a BMC vs crafty beer war...funny stuff

How did you possibly think this was going to turn out? You asked a loaded question in a very biased manner.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe your original question was genuine in the first place.

Who launched into a diatribe against BMC? There were plenty of launches of how we should respect them for whatever even though it's mass produced swill driven entirely by marketing. Don't we support changing attitudes and tastes regarding beer? We don't criticize BMC so people will comform to our tastes, rather the opposite.

Who launched into a diatribe against BMC? There were plenty of launches of how we should respect them for whatever even though it's mass produced swill driven entirely by marketing. Don't we support changing attitudes and tastes regarding beer?

You have over a thousand posts in this forum. Unless you have blinders on, you've seen it time and time again here.

What I find funny is how so many homebrewers love the variety that comes with homebrewing. Never do you find people who drink such a variety of different styles of beer as you do with homebrewers. However, as soon as BMC is mentioned, there is fervor of hatred that pops up. That same fervor never seems to pop up when stout is mentioned, or hell even blonde ale.

When somebody says they don't like BMC, that's just their personal taste. However, when someone feels the need to announce that BMC is crap and launch into a long diatribe over the mere mention of BMC, it's silly and snobby.

As for me? I love most all styles of beer, to include American pilsners. And BMC makes a good American pilsner. They don't make up much of beer diet, but they have their place.

How did you possibly think this was going to turn out? You asked a loaded question in a very biased manner.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe your original question was genuine in the first place.

shhhh. I'm being snobby with my dislike for BMC and their light versions. I don't want you to ruin the experience with your snob snobbery.

You have over a thousand posts in this forum. Unless you have blinders on, you've seen it time and time again here.

What's funny about it, though? Makes perfect sense. In general we're passionate about beer, about making it, about trying new things and experimenting, about exploring the world of beer. Basically BMC stands for the exact opposite of that, hence why homebrewers have such strong attitudes towards it. We don't look down on BMC drinkers, that would be snobby, we look down on BMC.

What's funny about it, though? Makes perfect sense. In general we're passionate about beer, about making it, about trying new things and experimenting, about exploring the world of beer. Basically BMC stands for the exact opposite of that, hence why people have such strong attitudes. We don't look down on BMC drinkers, that would be snobby, we look down on BMC.

maybe you don't, but I'm a top drawer snob.:rolleyes:

There were plenty of launches of how we should respect them for whatever even though it's mass produced swill driven entirely by marketing.

I'm sorry, but BMC is a great example of the American Pilsner. This is the traditional American beer; your brewing heritage. I came to this country 30 years ago, and BMC (and the like) was all you could get in the Supermarket. There was no such thing as Craft Beer. Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada, the start of the revolution, were very local breweries then.

Not only has the product continued to grow in the US, even with the advent of craft beer, it has grown, and is recognized, worldwide.

We may appreciate more flavor in our beers, and think of it as nothing more than a lawnmower beer. But it is probably the most consumed beer style in the world, meets a need, and an excellent product for what it is. "Mass produced swill" will not survive in the marketplace, no matter how great the marketing. And BMC has survived for decades and is a very healthy brand.

believe what you want dude..it was genuine..i just got on this forum very shortly ago i did not know people would get worked up so much asking a question about a industrial beer brewing technique..."how does BMC make such a flavorless beer?" thats a real loaded question:confused:

What's funny about it, though? Makes perfect sense. In general we're passionate about beer, about making it, about trying new things and experimenting, about exploring the world of beer. Basically BMC stands for the exact opposite of that, hence why homebrewers have such strong attitudes towards it. We don't look down on BMC drinkers, that would be snobby, we look down on BMC.

They make good beer. They may not make the beer style that you enjoy, however, that doesn't mean their beer isn't good. For the most part, all breweries are trying to sell as much beer as possible. BMC is no different. They've been around much longer than most craft breweries and have a huge market share. They didn't get there just by advertising. They got there by making good beer (of a style you may not care for) and good advertising. I don't think this is the opposite of what homebrewers stand for.

Furthermore, the BMC companies come out with new beers periodically. They almost always flop. The American populace enjoys their light American lager.

believe what you want dude..it was genuine..i just got on this forum very shortly ago i did not know people would get worked up so much asking a question about a industrial beer brewing technique..."how does BMC make such a flavorless beer?" thats a real loaded question:confused:

Are you new to brewing? I thought I remember reading a recent post by you that said you had been brewing for ten years. If you've been brewing that long, how is this a genuine question? Different beer styles require different types and amounts of grains and different types and amounts of hops.

And your disclaimer to start it off made it loaded as well.

They make good beer. They may not make the beer style that you enjoy, however, that doesn't mean their beer isn't good. For the most part, all breweries are trying to sell as much beer as possible. BMC is no different. They've been around much longer than most craft breweries and have a huge market share. They didn't get there just by advertising. They got there by making good beer (of a style you may not care for) and good advertising. I don't think this is the opposite of what homebrewers stand for.

Furthermore, the BMC companies come out with new beers periodically. They almost always flop. The American populace enjoys their light American lager.

Are you new to brewing? I thought I remember reading a recent post by you that said you had been brewing for ten years. If you've been brewing that long, how is this a genuine question? Different beer styles require different types and amounts of grains and different types and amounts of hops.

you've changed my mind. I renounce all other beer! and I shall only eat at McDonald's, since they sell a butt load of "food" at low prices they must be really great at what they do. it's also my heritage.

Not new to brewing new to this forum..listen man if you took it that im a troll and posted the question to start a childish war..you are mistaken sir..Just cause i been brewing for 10 years dont make me a brewmaster I have alot to learn..having never attemped an american lager i know nothing about brewing them..I just amazed that they brew such a light flavored beer..but at this point i really dont give crap..forget i asked.

you've changed my mind. I renounce all other beer! and I shall only eat at McDonald's, since they sell a butt load of "food" at low prices they must be really great at what they do. it's also my heritage.

Nowhere did I say that you should renounce all other beer. In fact, my original post here was specifically about variety of beer.

And McDonalds is great at what they do. Their sales numbers prove it. Show me otherwise. Their food is very unhealthy, so I don't eat it.

Do you enjoy stirring the pot?

Nowhere did I say that you should renounce all other beer. In fact, my original post here was specifically about variety of beer.

And McDonalds is great at what they do. Their sales numbers prove it. Show me otherwise. Their food is very unhealthy, so I don't eat it.

Do you enjoy stirring the pot?

they are great at selling a cheap product with minimal flavor to the masses. I just figured that if beer snobbery=disliking specific styles, why not just go even across the board? I do enjoy stirring the pot. obviously, so do you. but that's not what this is about. I can and will say that BMC is crap. it holds no place for me in my life. I do not enjoy it nor do I need to respect the brewery nor the brewers of said products. it's asinine. that's like saying that I need to respect McDonald's and their employees for producing minimally edible food because they make it the same all over the nation every day and tons of people buy it every day.

"Different beer styles require different types and amounts of grains and different types and amounts of hops"... yeah those ingredients flavor beer i ask how they brew flavorless ..AB has to use a technique that is not used in basic brewing practice..they do something to the beer it has to be..anyway whatever

"Different beer styles require different types and amounts of grains and different types and amounts of hops"... yeah those ingredients flavor beer i ask how they brew flavorless ..AB has to use a technique that is not used in basic brewing practice..they do something to the beer it has to be..anyway whatever

They use less grains and they use low SRM grains

People can love BMC all they want here.... I do everything I can to not give a penny to them for their crappy tasting products... just my personal opinion...

They are consistent and of course they have amazing equipment that pretty much makes the process foolproof... this is from talking to a 30 year Bud veteran at one of their Texas breweries... they figured out how to make flavorless beer as well as anyone ever.

Back