How do you set up your aquarium pump to dry lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Viking

Beer Lover
Reaction score
I ordered an aquarium pump to dry my lines how did you all set yours up with your lines when you are drying them?

Put that thing to work!

+1 for "repurposing" homebrew gadgets.

If you really want to make it work, you can use an aquarium pump as a recirculating wort chiller by placing it in ice water and connection to your immersion chiller. Saves a ton of water and cools quickly.

What do you mean by saying "aquarium pump"?

What is it's conventional function? Pumping air or pumping water?

My clear flexible tubing I just sling them if they are short enough and my wife isn't watching. Or hang them up. Then after they've gotten mostly dry enough I sometimes put one end in front of a fan and the other end behind the fan. Works better than I'd have thought.

For rigid tubing like copper I sometimes use compressed air from my shop compressor. Usually the rigid tubing only comes in contact with wort and beer externally, so I don't always go to the trouble.

Are you talking about trying to oxygenate your wort with the aquarium pump?? If so, never done it. Went right to using pure O2 with a sintered stone.

No, he wants to dry the inside of his hoses with it. :bott:
Seems kind of pointless to me. Easy enough to clean, rinse, hang/store until next time needed. Anything hot side just needs to be clean. Cold (post chill) needs to be sanitized, so a good dunk in Starsan takes care of that.

IMO/IME, there's plenty of better things to spend time thinking about than if your hoses are dry fast. :bigmug:

I agree, get them vertical and in an open space. I guess pumping fresh air might help . . . . . some.

If hose is short enough, I have been known to get a hose spinning and use centrifugal force to get excess liquid out of a hose.

I've been rinsing them out (as needed) in the kitchen sink, then letting them rest on the dish drain rack overnight. The hot side ones go back into position. Cold side are as well, but they get sanitized before any cooled wort goes through them.

Back