How do you remove chlorine forming crystals/salts from a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RITiger41

Reaction score
I need some help determining the best approach in removing what I believe is chlorine forming crystals/salts from carboys.

I had several carboys which I left sit full of a strong bleach solution for months (3 – 9). My bad. I know it’s a bad idea, but life gets in the way after you have your first kid. After thoroughly rinsing the carboys several times with hot water and scrubbing with a brush, followed by a PWB cleaning regiment, and additional scrubbing, then soaking over night with plain water hoping to dissolve them I’m still unable to remove all these little pains in my a$$. They almost appear as imperfection in the glass itself like tiny air bubbles, but I’m able to physically remove these crystals/salts one at a time with the brush; however time is not my side as I need to rack 10 gallons ASAP.

I like to believe there is some cleaning agent out there that would remove these debris/crystals/salts. Any suggestions???? Maybe an acid?

I’ve sanitized with bleach many time with no issues, a thorough rinsing is required though. I’m just a little hesitant to rack my beer, because this is beer is my most expense batch to date: a belgian-style christmas ale with a large malt bill, maple syrup, dry cherries, etc. I don’t want any unwanted off flavors.

There was a guy in my beer club would said this happened to him. I assumed it was an urban legend, because sodium hypochlorite (bleach) degrades over time and eventually evaporates, right?

I thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

You might try using a distilled vinegar solution to see if that clears them up a bit. Naturally you'll want to rinse the hell out of it after that.

You're seeing an alkaline scale. You need to have acid to remove it. Scrubbing it with straight white vinegar should work, or some very strong or even undiluted Starsan.

just to point out...

I’ve sanitized with bleach many time with no issues, a thorough rinsing is required though.
santizing a surface, then rinsing with non-sanitized water, means the surface is no longer "sanitized"...

I need some help determining the best approach in removing what I believe is chlorine forming crystals/salts from carboys.

I had several carboys which I left sit full of a strong bleach solution for months (3 – 9). My bad. I know it’s a bad idea, but life gets in the way after you have your first kid. After thoroughly rinsing the carboys several times with hot water and scrubbing with a brush, followed by a PWB cleaning regiment, and additional scrubbing, then soaking over night with plain water hoping to dissolve them I’m still unable to remove all these little pains in my a$$. They almost appear as imperfection in the glass itself like tiny air bubbles, but I’m able to physically remove these crystals/salts one at a time with the brush; however time is not my side as I need to rack 10 gallons ASAP.

I like to believe there is some cleaning agent out there that would remove these debris/crystals/salts. Any suggestions???? Maybe an acid?

I’ve sanitized with bleach many time with no issues, a thorough rinsing is required though. I’m just a little hesitant to rack my beer, because this is beer is my most expense batch to date: a belgian-style christmas ale with a large malt bill, maple syrup, dry cherries, etc. I don’t want any unwanted off flavors.

There was a guy in my beer club would said this happened to him. I assumed it was an urban legend, because sodium hypochlorite (bleach) degrades over time and eventually evaporates, right?

I thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.
I know... 12 years old and stuff.... but same happened to me today. I thought I would go insane trying to remove those crystals. I will try the vinegar.

I have the suspicion that those crystals only appear when a second cleaning agent is present, in my case dish washing liquid which I also dumped in. Let's see if the vinegar does the job.

I know... 12 years old and stuff.... but same happened to me today. I thought I would go insane trying to remove those crystals. I will try the vinegar.

I have the suspicion that those crystals only appear when a second cleaning agent is present, in my case dish washing liquid which I also dumped in. Let's see if the vinegar does the job.
Quick update, couldn't stop myself from turning this into an experiment. I filled a glass with water and added a good sip of bleach plus some dish washing liquid and let it stand there over night.

Results are in! This morning, the glass had a lot of sediment in it.

In other words, don't use dish washing liquid plus bleach for soaking!

Mostly that the soap stuck around more and could interact with the beer, hence all the PBW, Oxiclean, etc.. uses. Not sure where I got that idea from though.
I think that all the other cleaning products just do a better job. When rinsed properly, there shouldn't be any issue. I use soap, than bleach and immediately before using it I use star san.

It is the surfactants (sp) in dish detergent. It is what stops water spots. It is difficult to rinse off and will kill the head on your beer. I know it is there. When I get a glass that has been through the dishwasher, I rinse it, then pour my beer. The first beer has less head than succeeding ones.

Actually I think that's what it was, soap residue issues.
Never thought about it this way. Although I am rinsing, rerinsing and rererinsing and then bleach and rinse and rerinse and...... But I actually use some soap for my bottles as well,I let them soak over night.

I will order some alternative and see if it does any good to eliminate the soap from my brewing process.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I've got a 1-gallon glass fermenter with this bleach crystal issue...will try the vinegar solution to remove the crystals. I am guessing 1:1 with water, soak over-night, then rinse a few times with hot water?

If something else, let me know, and thanks.

Ron

I've got a 1-gallon glass fermenter with this bleach crystal issue...will try the vinegar solution to remove the crystals. I am guessing 1:1 with water, soak over-night, then rinse a few times with hot water?

If something else, let me know, and thanks.

Ron
Just use this distilled vinegar with higher acid amount and drop a third of the 500 ml bottle into your one gallon fermenter and fill it up with warm water. Let it stand over night and be surprised the next morning :)

I recently tried vwp as a general cleaner and sanitizer, really powerful stuff! Worth a try if you can get hold of it in your country.

I'm not familiar with VWP but will look for it...if not, it sounds as though the vinegar will do the trick! :mug:

Back