How do you pronounce "Wyeast"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you say it?

• "Wh-yeast"

• "Why-yeast"

• "Why-east"

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honestly, not a clue. But I've said it the second way and the guys at my LHBS didn't correct me.

I don't pronounce it. I either order it online, or grab it from the cooler and take it up to the check-out at the LHBS without having to say a thing.

The difference between:
"Why-yeast"
"Why-east"

is very subtle. that's why I order from WhiteLabs. (pronounced Why? t-Labs).

Wy'east is the native American name for Mt Hood near where wyeast laboratories is located.
I pronounce it wye-east but i have no idea if that's actually correct.

I've always pronounced it "Why-East," but that's just because that's how it looks like it should be pronounced. "Why-Yeast" doesn't make sense to me since there's only one "y" there, so it would have to be either "Why-east" or "Wh-yeast," but not "Why-Yeast." Plus that sounds like a silly question and like joke company name.

90% of my yeast purchases are from White Labs, though, so I've only bought a few of Wyeast's products over the years, anyway,so... Yeah...

I've always pronounced it "Why-East," but that's just because that's how it looks like it should be pronounced. "Why-Yeast" doesn't make sense to me since there's only one "y" there, so it would have to be either "Why-east" or "Wh-yeast,"...

Or "Wye-ast"?

Wy'east is the native American name for Mt Hood near where wyeast laboratories is located.
I pronounce it wye-east but i have no idea if that's actually correct.

Is that true?

I use white labs out of habit.

Funny I never even thought about it and always just thought it as "Why-yeast" even though it doesnt really spell out that way.

Back