How do you feel about hummus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This stuff is tasty, but expensive at the grocery store. I'm munching on some garlic hummus and pita bread right now, but I paid $10 for 2 containers of hummus. I'm thinking of starting to make my own so I can feel like a hippie at a reduced cost.

My hummus rave is now over. Thanks for reading.

Make it yourself then. A can of sesame tahini is probably 5 dollars or so, but it will make at least 4 to 5 batches of hummus, and garbonzo beans are very inexpensive. Plus, you can make it taste however you like.

I make a very nice hummus.

http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/2010/04/hummus-and-garlic-dip.html

The recipe is about the best one I've tasted.

I sometimes do a large batch, split it in half and add chili powder to one and leave the other as is. My hummus is famous among family and friends :)

P.S. We call Garbanzo beans chickpeas. I've also made this using rehydrated dried chickpeas , but I didn't notice much differnce from the canned to be honest.

I get 10lb can of chick peas at the restaurant supply store for 3.99 and make up a bunch of hummas

I love the stuff and my wife makes it so I'm quite fortunate.

Hummus is my savior as far as health goes...I can easily snack on it vs. potato chips. Keeping it around keeps me from junk food. Dip green, red, orange peppers in it, fantastic. Nothing beats pita bread, but when you're trying to be health conscious peppers do the job.

You can also use Navy Beans. Or a Garbanzo/navy bean combo.

My homemade hummus:
Can of Navy or Garbanzo's
Add a little olive oil
(home) Roasted red peppers
Garlic
Lime juice

Throw it in a food processor (I use the Magic Bullet, amazing device lol). It keeps easily for days. And FAR cheaper than store bought.

I love hummus!

Make it yourself. It's much better, cheaper, and freezes really easily. If you have a crock pot, buy dried chick peas and cook them yourself (cheaper, better tasting). I use Alton's recipe and it's fantastic. The only gotcha is that the hummus recipe is for 1 pound cooked peas and the 'cooking recipe' is for 1 pound dried peas. You usually get 2.5 pounds of cooked peas from 1 pound of dry. I usually just make the recipe bigger and freeze some of it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hummus-for-real-recipe/index.html

It really is one of the easiest "dips" to make. If using canned chickpeas, it can easily be made in under 5 minutes. This includes the time to get the ingredients out and the equipment set up.

I don't want to sound like I'm saying don't use canned chick peas, but if you have a crock pot... it is really SUPER simple to cook them yourself. Just requires a few hours notice.

Slow Cooker Chickpeas:
7 cups water
1 pound dry chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Special equipment: a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker
Place the water, chickpeas, and baking soda in a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours, or on low heat for 8 to 9 hours, or until tender. Drain and serve immediately, or use in desired dish.

I make hummus all the time, though I prefer it with lots of garlic, lemon, and aleppo pepper. However, if you start making hummus, ya might as well start making homemade baba ghanoush and tabboule. Good stuff.

This is by far my favorite hummus that I have ever made (I prefer it with the optional red pepper blended into the mix). The addition of the Cayenne Pepper gives the dish a little kick that people love.

Ace's Awesome Hummus Recipe:

1 can Chickpeas (drained)
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2-3 cloves Garlic
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Cumin
(Optional: 1 fresh Red Pepper, cut into slices for easier blending)

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend to desired consistency. If mixture is too thick, add additional Olive Oil in 1 tbsp increments.

My 30-second hummusish dip.

2 cans chickpeas, drained
1 jar marinated artichokes

Dump in food processor
Process

It's not the best hummus I've ever had, but the ingredients keep forever in the pantry, there's no measuring, and it literally takes 30 seconds to prepare.

I use a recipe very similar to Ace's but I also put lemon zest in it, I find that gives loads more than just the juice.

GodsStepBrother said:
I use a recipe very similar to Ace's but I also put lemon zest in it, I find that gives loads more than just the juice.

Good idea

I love hummus and I usually put it in sandwiches instead of mustard. My wife makes it sometimes but I usually just buy it.

I think baba ganoosh (or ghanooj or ganush) is better but not as easy to find at stores.

I make it often but don't really follow a recipe. It's usually something like:

1-2 can(s) of chickpeas drained (reserve the liquid)
some tahini (maybe a big spoonful)
a couple cloves of garlic
juice of a lemon (or to taste)
olive oil
salt, to taste
enough of the reserved chickpea juice to get right consistency

everything is mixed in a blender with olive oil and chickpea juice being added to achieve proper consistency

pour into a container and sprinkle smoked paprika on top then drizzle with more olive oil

that's it, easy and delicious. eat with toasted pitas.

You can get it dried and just add water from healthfood stores,but you can also get them dried i think instead of canned,i love the stuff and pay under 4 bucks around here but i also like the probiotic kind i get, this stuff is just a great bean dip especially when you get bored with salsa,although now im starting to think about guacamole and how awesome that stuff is too,especially made fresh- salt pepper a little lime juice,garlic,maybe cilantro-good to go

I can see my self making a borderline under-the-influence trip to the store for pita bread and tahini this evening...

I'd better just go now.

Aaaand we are golden. The Baba Ganooj comments inspired me to put some spicy curry powder in, and it rocks.

ForumRunner_20111104_205853.jpg

Ok, I've been inspired to make my own finally. Always buy the roasted garlic stuff from Hannaford and eat it with the Tostitoes multigrain chips. So good!

As I was eating this last night it occured to me what makes the homemade hummus so much better is the consistency. The store bought stuff seems dense and stodgy in comparison. Also, it cost me less than $2 to make a quart of it.

Hummus is awesome, and I'd love to start making my own, but I can never find tahini. Can any of you find it at large grocery chains like Kroger or do you have to go to specialty stores/Middle Eastern groceries?

Back