How do you contain spills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy

Reaction score
I brew in my garage and I used to just let water and wort hit the concrete when I would accidentally spill. Now my new home has a garage the has those checker board mat flooring that snap together. I would like to avoid spilling and keeping liquid out of those gaps.
What are y’all’s method of spill containment?
Pics are welcome

When I brewed in the kitchen I just put a bathmat down to keep spills out of the seams and such. Now I have a dedicated beer room that is tiled. Let the good times spill!

I would look for some large pieces of cardboard and lay them under your burner or wherever else the spillage may occur.
I have electric 3 vessel HERMS and mostly concerned with spilling when moving hoses around with pumps

I have various old towels that are now brewery towels, I too am a 3 vessel herms brewer, in my basement, so not huge deal if I spill but I like to avoid it. I will throw a towel down before switching hoses, or sometimes a small plastic container if I have one laying around.

I made a tray out of a sheet of FRP, folding the edges up and riveting the corners. Works very well to keep wort out of the parquet :)

1658864404733.jpeg
1658864368604.jpeg

Cheers!

I brew in my driveway, so I don't have to worry about spills during the brewing process. However, my son didn't understand how my flow control faucets worked and I lost almost 5 gallons of beer overnight onto my garage's carpeted floor (it was carpeted when we bought it). He thought he had turned the faucet off by just turning the flow control handle and did not close the tap handle. I ended up buying a 5 gallon containment tray and put that under the keezer's faucets just in case. One of these may help.
https://www.amazon.com/Containment-...gallon+containment+tray,industrial,131&sr=1-4
P.S. a few weeks after I got the containment tray, my other son did the same thing. While I lost a few gallons of beer, at least it didn't go onto the carpet and require another carpet cleaning.

Purchased a large rubber matt from HD which somewhat contains the spill so I can mop it up. Also doubles to make it easier to walk on concrete.

Maybe a tarp or something taped to the floor? I brew in my garage, and I pour sanitizer on the ground around the brewing area before I begin to keep any dust from kicking up and floating around. Learned that from painting cars in a small garage, dirt in paint or clearcoat is not a good look

I have electric 3 vessel HERMS and mostly concerned with spilling when moving hoses around with pumps
Me too. My pump sits on a plastic cafeteria tray that catches minor drips. I put my 2-cup measuring cup underneath when changing hoses.

No 100% prevention or cure for major idiocies that still (rarely!) happen, even after all these years. Keep towels handy!

My operation is much smaller -- both carboy and BeerMKR brewing. Needed something to contain a full leak from the BeerMKR, ~7L of fluid. Found this online:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Funnel-K...ing-Drip-and-Spill-Containment-Tray/168639367
and it works great. (This is where you don't ask me how I know, but sadly, I know.) I would have picked up two so I had coverage when I bottle -- but instead I found an unloved bathtub. Built a stand for it to be at waist height and a countertop, plumbed it in, and prep/bottling/cleanup is a much simpler affair.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I have various old towels that are now brewery towels, I too am a 3 vessel herms brewer, in my basement, so not huge deal if I spill but I like to avoid it. I will throw a towel down before switching hoses, or sometimes a small plastic container if I have one laying around.
I'm a single vessel brewer but do the same thing. Just bunch of old towels and a couple old measuring cups to catch any spillage during hose changes.

I brew in my garage and I used to just let water and wort hit the concrete when I would accidentally spill. Now my new home has a garage the has those checker board mat flooring that snap together. I would like to avoid spilling and keeping liquid out of those gaps.
What are y’all’s method of spill containment?
Pics are welcome

I would ditch the mat flooring. Why make life harder than it needs to be?

I moved into the garage from the driveway this year with my 3 vessel system. I have an RO system attached to my brew stand and my brew rig sits on the opposite wall to the sink so I added a line to the brew rig wall and put a wye valve on the valve. One is for RO water and one is for the plate chiller. I don't have a working drain in the floor but it is sloped to an old cemented drain. In a way I am fortunate for that, as it least the water pools there. I thought I would gradually improve my workflow to account for being inside, being more careful and such.

Things I have learned:
0. Close all your valves at the beginning of brewing.
1. Make sure both your discharge hose and the supply hose are connected to your plate chiller when you turn the water on.
2. Garden hose disconnects don't like to be dropped when attached to a sprayer while the water is on. They will let you know this by disconnecting and watering the garage.
3. Those little inline valve handles on the wye like to be fully closed. Even if they look fully closed, if they aren't, they will piss all over the floor when you turn the main on for RO water.
4. If you collect your concentrate water for the garden or otherwise, don't put the container on the floor, even if you think it's a pretty big container and you'll be back to check on it.
5. A float valve on your RO collection device will not turn off the concentrate line.
6. Don't wear music buds while filling up your utility sink, there's no overflow drain.
7. Don't go check something in your keezer while filling up the utility sink. You might find some unusual ice and start to investigate. (see 6.)
8. No matter how tight you may properly fix that weeping fitting on your HLT, stick around until the RO water in the HLT reaches the fitting because the float valve may be 1/16" or so above the fitting.
9. There are many not so good ways to keep the wort out hose on your plate chiller output attached to the FV. [Extensive testing performed with and without inline oxygenation.]
10. Draining 6 gallons or so of spent PBW out of a keggle into a bucket can be done efficiently with multiple buckets by switching them out quickly and paying attention to the bucket as it fills up.

Top Finding
Just keep the mop and bucket nearby and mop up spills right away. Keep it half full of plain water for wort spills, reduces stickiness.

Back when I was a line cook, we had rubber mats on the kitchen line, not that they cared about our comfort, but rather to keep us from slipping. These were long rubber matts and looked like chain links, lots of holes in the mats. They would get really nasty by the end of the night. The overnight cleaning crew would hang them up and hose them down, there was a spray area built for it in fact. You won't want that checkerboard mat. I have a set of those and I would never put that on the floor by the brew rig. You want something you can pick up and hose off easily.

My next brew space absolutely gets a floor drain and then I could get a big squeegee.

My set up is small. And BIAB.
Only real spillage is a couple drops from squeezing the bag and when bottling.
I use the lid of my brew equipment storage box to contain the bottling spillage. Its upside down on a low table with an old towel in it.

Back